No advance or RPM signal... EDIT: problem solved :)

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

dan8400

No advance or RPM signal... EDIT: problem solved :)

Post by dan8400 »

My car is running on the EDIS. It starts and runs. I am connected to the MEGAJOLT with PC and have set the TPS with no problems. It goes from 0% to 100%. I am getting a reading of 457 RPM which deosn't go up or down. Advance is stuck at 12 and doesn't move either. TPS reading goes up and down no problem.

How can i get the MJ and EDIS talk to each other? I'm getting just under 7 volts from PIP on MJ plug when engine is running on EDIS alone. 0 volts from SAW

Thanks
Dan
Last edited by dan8400 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Possibly you have joined the PIP and SAW wires the wrong way round. Can you double check these wires are connected to the correct pins on the connectors??

Out of interest the output of the CTO (Clear Tach Output) on the EDIS unit Pin 11 is a constant 500 rpm approx which you say is what you are getting. Are you sure you have not connected the PIP line to this??
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

I tried swapping the PIP and SAW wires but no effect. I'm sure it's wired up as per the diagram on the installation page. I'm getting 457 RPM constant. It doesn't move. Advance says 12 and doesn't move. When i press the throttle, the TPS goes from 0% up to 100% and it reads in the Runtime(?) screen (the one with all the little lines in it).

Dan

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

NITROPIXIE wrote:Possibly you have joined the PIP and SAW wires the wrong way round. Can you double check these wires are connected to the correct pins on the connectors??

Out of interest the output of the CTO (Clear Tach Output) on the EDIS unit Pin 11 is a constant 500 rpm approx which you say is what you are getting. Are you sure you have not connected the PIP line to this??
I don't have a PIN 11. There is just a gap. No hole for a wire. I had to count it as a wire to make the rest make sense. Otherwise there would not have been 12 outputs if i didn't count the Gap (ie: where 11 should have been)

Dan

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

No problem it should of been in that gap so don't worry about it.

Just so i'm on a level playing field do you have a V3 or V4, kit or built up and an EDIS 4, 6 or 8 (also the part number on the EDIS unit).

Advance wont move until the megajolt recieves a PIP signal from the EDIS unit, once we have achieved this then you will find the advance will work.

Do yo have access to a multimeter???

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Another thing is to verify voltages, especially PIP/SAW using the following guide:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... tion_Steps
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

I do have a mulit meter yes. It is megajolt lite jr. Got it end of december in a kit that i built up.

Do i need to upload anything on to the unit? I have just put it on the car and started trying to set it up. Is this correct?

And i'll check out that link Brent Thank you :)

Dan

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

Ok... checked that link out and those are the exact readings i am getting from everything.

Whats the next step guys?

Have i messed up assembling my megajolt?? :(

Dan

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Ok if all those readings are fine and the wiring is all fine then we'll have to try some more fault finding on the circuit board itself mainly looking at the PIP signal.

What i would do now is take off the casing for the controller but connect it to the car and have the engine running. The PIP signal comes onto the board through the molex connector, into the max 232 at pin 8, out of the max 232 through pin 9 then splits in 2 directions, one to hc08 processor pin 9 and pin 1 of the uln2003. I have included a pic to show how the PIP line is connected through the circuit board. This should help with fault finding on the PIP line.

I have also included a second pic of how the pins are numbered on all chips. If there are more than 16 pins then it still follows the same format.
Attachments
PIP line out.JPG
PIP line out.JPG (21.86 KiB) Viewed 9806 times
Chip pin out.JPG
Chip pin out.JPG (16.12 KiB) Viewed 9807 times

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

Haven't done the firmware thing yet. Will that make a difference. I cant understand the instructions. Cant make seem to make my pc understand what i'm typing in. Can you help?

Starting to feel a bit thick. I'm not usually this bad honest :-)

Dan

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

You shouldn't need to do any firmware updating and the processor chip will already have the firmware required to operate as it is. Once you have got the mjlj and EDIS working together then you can think about updating the firmware should you wish.

What page are you using to try to update the firmware??

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

From the download page. If i don't need to do it i wont bother. Need to find out why edis and megajolt aren't talking to each other. I'll try all of your above advice and do circuit testing tomorrow.
What can i do if it is broken? Got a track day on friday

thanks
Dan

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

From your first post it shows that your firmware is working, by virtue of you being able to read/write maps and observing changes in the TPS%. So, you *don't* need to flash it again.

Ryan is on the right track for tracing the signal from the Molex connector all the way to the processor chip. The equivalent signal travels from the molex connector, through the MAX232A chip, and on to the processor. Verifying the signal gets to the processor is key. Once it does, it will show an RPM signal.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

UPDATE:

Thanks to you NITROPIXIE we have solved the problem. It was the line you said it would be. The soldered joint between MAX 232 and the other two chips. Tested this with multi meter and nothing. Basically heated up the solder again and tested it and now everything works fine.

Thank you so much for your help. Turned out to be a simple fix. I just didnt know where to start. I can go to rolling road today and track day on friday with fully functioning megajolt. :)

Thank you
Dan