V2 Processor - Suspected failure, any alternatives?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

bighead

V2 Processor - Suspected failure, any alternatives?

Post by bighead »

Hi all,

First off let me say what an excellent and useful resource!! Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.

I built a V2 Megajolt a long time ago and it's been sitting around doing nothing for the last few years (I can't remember when I built it, must have been a while ago as there seems to be a version 4 now!) The time has come to finally use it and I think the processor is dead/ playing funny games.

Serial comms do not work at all, I have tested serial comms with the processor out of the board and the Max233 seemingly functions fine (the TX to processor sits at 5V and transmits when it sees something on the serial from PC line)

However when the processor is plugged in, it seems to be pulling that line down to 1.3V (pin 12 of the main micro). I think this is causing the MAX233 to latch as that line will just sit at 1.3V and not move despite any attempt at serial comms. So I have a feeling the main processor dead, can anyone confirm? I have another MAX chip to try tomorrow but I'm doubtful it will do anything :(

So if the processor is dead can I do anything about it? I know the alternatives are not pin compatible but could I use a V4 processor in an adaptor board? Failing that, does anyone have a spare MC68HC908KX8?

Thanks all

Ben

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Ben,

Ping us at [email protected] and we should be able to get you sorted out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bighead

Post by bighead »

brentp wrote:Hi Ben,

Ping us at [email protected] and we should be able to get you sorted out.
Does anyone have a spare processor? I can get a surface mount part from Farnell, + an adaptor board, but then it will need to be hard wired to the board which isn't very neat.

Failing that I'll have to fire Cadstar up and attempt to layout a V4 board that will fit in a V2 case :)

Ben

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello Ben,

We've sent you an email.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter