Dual Hall Effect Crank Pickup

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

cribbj

Dual Hall Effect Crank Pickup

Post by cribbj »

Hi all, been awhile since I was here, but have another date to break in a motor on the engine dyno, so am getting it configured with a carb and the EDIS and my trusty MJLJ.

Then I remembered I'd changed this engine over from a VR pickup to a dual Hall device (still works from a standard ferrous trigger wheel, but puts out a much nicer square wave) and I didn't know if the EDIS would like this....

I'd really hate to get the motor on the dyno and find out it doesn't work. I've modified the oil pump assembly to accept the smaller diameter, shorter length Hall pickup, and it would be a real PITA to have to change the oil pump to one that has the VR sized bracket.

Anybody know if the EDIS will accept a 0-12v square wave input instead of the VR?
Over the hill, low on compression, and sometimes not firing on all cylinders, just like my cars.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi John-

On the Hall Effect sensor- we haven't tested this so I do not know. It may indeed work as some of the VR simulators output a square wave. However, the regular VR sensor output swings through positive and negative- you can simulate this by using a voltage divider circuit before feeding it into the VR sensor input.

You should try it out- if the engine actually runs, keep it at a low power output and monitor for stable ignition advance. Let us know!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cribbj

Post by cribbj »

Happy New Year to everyone, and an update since I asked the question about the Hall Effect crank pickup.

I had my engine running on an engine dyno yesterday, on a standard VR sensor, then swapped in my dual Hall sensor, scoped the output and made it out to be +2.5v on the positive, and -2.5v on the negative, and the engine would not fire. Nothing, nyet, nada. If I'd had more time, I would have adjusted the voltage divider network to get a higher P2P voltage, but that's for next time. Not conclusive that it doesn't work, but not very encouraging either.

This was a little 4.0l Lexus V8 that we were breaking in on the engine dyno. I set it up with a Holley 650 double pumper (yeah, it was a bit big for the motor) and the EDIS8. We made 275 BHP @ 5700 RPM before what sounded like ignition breakup shut us down. IIRC, aren't there some reports of the EDIS running out of steam around 5800? I wasn't interested in continuing the test, as the goal was to break the motor in, which we did.......thoroughly, several times over :D

Here's a video of the pull:

Over the hill, low on compression, and sometimes not firing on all cylinders, just like my cars.