Block Painted... YAAAAY

General discussion on Autosport Labs, the mission, website, content, etc.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Funky Diver

Block Painted... YAAAAY

Post by Funky Diver »

Part of the reason I ended up in the company I now frequent (here) is all because of this....

When I set out originally to tart up my car, I thought it would be a quick spruce up here n there to make it tidy, add a faster cam and a decent exhaust.

Soooooo, 8 months later and after a lot of planning resourcing, this is the stage I'm now at with my 21 year old VW Scirocco.

The current build to date has expanded and contracted, changed direction (always for the better) and generally morphed itself into a 2litre block, fast road cam, MJLJ, and custom exhaust. Poly bushes all round, uprated brakes, suspension and generally a complete beast built for genuine GT style driving.

Enough of my waffle... here's the block

I'm not overly bothered about the gash edges, once it's all dry I'll flat them back ready for the final components to go on.

Now to track down gaskets that I haven't got ready for rebuild after the rest of the components are clean :D
And I'm also going to redo this bit..

Cack masking on my behalf :(

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Wow, that is a gorgeous paint job- looks as if you plasti-dipped the block!

Nice props in the background. do you drive the tiny 4x4 much? :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

brentp wrote:Wow, that is a gorgeous paint job- looks as if you plasti-dipped the block!
That was kinda the effect I was going for tbh. I'm not building a show n shine car, but I am hoping that it'll be low maintainence in the cleaning department for a few years, hence over kill on cleaning and prep now. Most metalwork is being drip fed powder coated. I don't wanna put it all back together to then have to strip it down in 3 years due to rust ;)

Block was dip cleaned then shot blasted, then simply sprayed with Chevy Orange VHT :D

Here's a piccie of post shot blasting. Came up rather well I think!

brentp wrote:Nice props in the background. do you drive the tiny 4x4 much? :)
Not personally, my feet don't reach the pedals, haha! It was mine, but I donated it to my son. It's great fun herding chickens with it. My RC car is a bit too fast for any kinda chicken herding... they'd end up as road kill.