EDIS8 on 4cyl engine

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brad m

EDIS8 on 4cyl engine

Post by brad m »

I'm just a tad curious, we're building an FJ20 engine for a drag car. we'll be running upwards of 30 to 35psi on methanol and a rev limmit of 8000RPM. As such we need good ignition and stock dizzy based system is going to have troubles.

My question is: can we use an MJLJ with an EDIS8 module to run 4 seperate single post coils? and say 4 MSD 6A units with a rev limiting circut built in befor the MSD units to save on have to use the 6AL?
and what would be the positives and negatives of such a setup?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Interesting question.

Curious, have you already proven that a standard EDIS-4 is not adequate for your use?

Hard rev limiting is possible with MJLJ+EDIS. See our assembly / operation guide for more information on this topic.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brad m

Post by brad m »

we haven't proven that edis4 wont work. but this car get the hand-me-down engine from our sports compact car.
so the current engine it has is one we used to run years ago and it mad about 550hp and runs to 8000rpm.
The current engine our sports compact car makes 850hp and runs to 10 000rpm. That engine runs four coils and a motec ECU.
When it gets handed down to the slower car, fueling will be from mechanical injection. If we can run a similar ignition system right from the start it will make things easier when it come time to change the engine over.

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

I can't see how you are going to get an EDIS8 to work in this application.
It's meant to fire a cylinder every 90 crankshaft degrees but your engine needs one every 180 degrees. You would have to 'fiddle' the whole timing scenario.

Not withstanding that, I would set it up with an MJLJ, EDIS4 and Accel Chrysler Neon coils.
Try it and you probably won't be disappointed.
At least it will allow you to get the engine up and running before getting into something as mind bending as what you are proposing.

For comparison, I have run an MJLJ, EDIS6 and stock Dodge (Chrysler) Grand Caravan coil pack on a supercharged propane engine with good results (until detonating the bottom end at 7600 and 28psi!)