TPS? MAP? Neither? on a mini....

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mr_bridger

TPS? MAP? Neither? on a mini....

Post by mr_bridger »

Hi Guys,

Forgive my ignorance, but ive trawlwed the web for a few hours now, and have found no information on wether i need a TPS or MAP version of mjlj for my mini . if i need a tps type, where do i get said sensor from, and how is it attached to a HIF44? OR am i just being thick and is the MAP sensor on the board and i just feed a vacuum pipe to the box?

Any info appreciated.

Ross.

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Use a MAP version for a Mini (far, far easier than a TPS) - yes, there is an onboard MAP sensor inside the MJLJ and you just connect the manifold to the MJLJ with a vacuum hose

See the pics at the bottom of http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_kit_assembly_guide

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

If you've got a vacuum take off on the manifold, I'd block it up and connect to the vacuum take off on the HIF44, as it's a slightly smoother signal.

The closer you get to the cylinders the more lumpy it is.

mr_bridger

Stockists?

Post by mr_bridger »

Thanks for the replies guys, that assembly guide makes things a lot clearer.

My next question is are there any UK stockists?

cheers

Ross.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

MAP is generally considered superior to TPS since it offers a more precise indicator of engine load. If you have a convenient point to reference vacuum, it is the obvious way to go. We have a FAQ topic on the subject:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_Frequ ... _Questions

Regarding getting a unit or kit- we don't have any official UK distributors, but we regularly ship many directly to the UK, so no worries there! You can order through the online store, above.

However, you will periodically find ready-assembled units on ebay, you might want to give that a check.

Cheers,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

also if you are unlucky you will get £15 or so import tax if the government feel like being mean! go for the online shop, pound is stil quite strong, think mine worked out at jsut over £80 delivered plus of course the import tax!
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

From my observations, I was surprised to see that the application of import duties is inconsistent for UK recipients. If you do get charged, remember the VAT charge is percentage on the declared value, not a flat fee. I think it's about 17%.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

brentp wrote:From my observations, I was surprised to see that the application of import duties is inconsistent for UK recipients. If you do get charged, remember the VAT charge is percentage on the declared value, not a flat fee. I think it's about 17%.
Dead right Brent, 17.5% for VAT, but with a government as corrupt as this, it's hardly a suprise they make it up as they go along. For example, I know someone who was charged nearly £30 import duty (pushing $60!), yet when I bought mine last year it appeared someone else had payed the £18 duty for me. I never found out who, but it's their loss :lol:

mr_bridger

Post by mr_bridger »

Regarding charges, ive had experience! i have ordered a few things from various places, and sometimes ive been charged,. sometimes not (on exactly the same cosignment!!) Also, the charges tend not to be VAT, but Duty and charges. and even then, its usually a parcelforce handling fee that is the bulk of that.

Regarding MJLJ, very interested, especially as ive found a few sites that indicate it may be possible for me to reprogram it from a PDA. anyone had any jot / experience with this??

cheers
Ross.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We have a link to a free 3rd party tuning program that works on a pocket PC. I haven't tried it out, but I believe it should work fine, even with the latest firmware:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_3rd_Party_Software

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter