Spark plug leads..

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Ron B.

Spark plug leads..

Post by Ron B. »

Hi,I'm in Australia,and the Edis was never installed on Fords (as such) here.I have struck a problem ,I need Spark plug leads.I'm fitting the system to a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 so theres insufficient room ...anywhere.I have to put the battery in the boot and run the plug leads from one side of the engine to the other ,a distance of 1.2 meters.Who makes plug leads to order that I can use here?.
Cheers! Ron B.

4600cc

Accel makes nice and cheap

Post by 4600cc »

Accel makes nice and cheap plug wires:

http://www.accel-ignition.com/CatalogsL ... ?BrandID=3

But I think you want to know how to make aftermarket plug wires fit those FORD coil packs? In my previous application I took parts of old wire sets, and installed onto new wires, and it worked perfectly. In particular you need to reuse the lead off old plug wire, and the plastic cap, for rubber boot you use new unit that comes with your wires. I have plenty of pictures of this mod, Ill post them up.

Oliver Sedlacek

I can't help with your

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

I can't help with your question, but I'd love to see some pictures. In idle moments of madness, I daydream about a 300SEL 6.3s with insane power!

Ron B.

Plug leads

Post by Ron B. »

Cheers! thanks for that,I won't find OEM leads here,so the accel leads look like deal for me.

KLAS

maybe it is of any help,

Post by KLAS »

maybe it is of any help, ACCEL offers a new EDIS coil that uses "european contacs" PN 140028
http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/Coils.pdf

Ron B.

Plastic connectors for the EDIS blocks.

Post by Ron B. »

OK,I see i need to get 8 of those plastic clips that hold the lead into the blocks.The rest I can source here.
How much for 8 of those things( including postage) ??.
Also,In the pictures the lead looks like solid core,is it solid core or "string" type.What are optimum specs for the leads ?
Cheers!.
PS i like that bracket for holding the leads in place,is that a stock USA ford item?

4600cc

I only have 4, I thought I

Post by 4600cc »

I only have 4, I thought I had 8. So visit to junk yard is required, which Im not planning anytime soon. <a target="_blank" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Exp ... D1V">Click here</a> to check out this item. Its from a five oh, but look like exactly what you need. Cant be sure of quality, so its best to ask him to check the clips by visual inspection and by squeezing on handles, nothing should be broken.

Ron B.

No Problems,thanks for the

Post by Ron B. »

No Problems,thanks for the link,i'll buy those seeing as they are cheap enough.I can modify the leads to suit my application.All I need to do now is find a spare vibration damper and machine it to fit the toothed wheel and i'm half way there,thanks again!

jspink

Spark Plug Leads

Post by jspink »

Hi I'm in Australia as well. Almost minished Megajolt on a race Mini. I'm looking for 4 HT leads - 2 possibilities - custom built from a mob in Nunawading (I'll get the quote this week) and maybe from CAPA in South Australia who import Ford performance parts from USA. Check out <a>http://www.capa.com.au/shm_ignition.htm</a>
HT leads for Mustang and Cobra. Prices are a bit huge though. Note that CAPA to the accel yellow coil pack for $65 USD.
My leads will be 670mm and 840mm
Julian Spink

aarc240

Alternate to leads

Post by aarc240 »

I'm also in Australia and really didn't want to get into 'unobtanium' leads for my EDIS6 or EDIS8 installations, so I found a better way.

Instead of the Ford coilpack/s, for EDIS6 use a Chrysler Caravan 6cyl coilpack or for EDIS8 use two Chrysler Neon coilpacks.
Both are obtainable in Australia if you really want to pay that much, otherwise use eBay to get them from USA.
Get the harness connector with them, wire them in as laid out clearly by Paul Ruschman on the MegaSquirt forums, add standard HEI leads and you're in business.
Added benefit is the Chrysler coilpacks are FLAT underneath so are easy to mount. Only Ford would be dumb enough to design something that needed a fancy and therefore expensive bracket to mount!

4600cc

Id never use anything made

Post by 4600cc »

Id never use anything made by GM or Chrysler. They had a race here in St. Petersburg, brand new STSs came from the rear to the front and dominated the race, until last lap, when ignition failure caused them a finish. They didnt just not finish first, they didnt finish period! And guess what, electronic gremlins are well known in GM street cars. So that was a funny race, the guy that drove that STS wasn't laughing though.

In the US a set of brand new wires, modifying, will costs this much:

Wire set - $40
Old wires from junk yard - $0 to $10

Time to modify is less than 30 minutes, and its easy. The costs are basically cheaper than OEM wire set, and it looks good too. The only problem you guys seem to be having is lack of old parts.

I cant believe you dont have these parts in Australia. I thought there are mod motors there too. For example the BOSS 5.0, which is basically our 5.0 cammer motor. First mod motors were introducted here in 92, SOHC, 4.6L... And those had EDIS-8 setup, it wasnt until later that ford integrated EDIS into EEC-V and got rid of coil packs and wires in favor of coil on plug setup.

brentp
Site Admin

Flat coilpacks

Post by brentp »

Arag! I know what you mean about the coilpack design. I spent a good day designing and building a custom bracket for the EDIS-4 coil pack I'm using on my toyota 4AG!

But I suppose it's nothing for Ford to incorporate that design, with all of the design tools they have.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

aarc240

other coilpacks

Post by aarc240 »

A bit off topic but I guess they do have ignition leads after all!!
Kawasaki Vulcan VN1500's have a neat pair of coils normally used to fire the twin plug design, as do a number of Japanese designed machines.
I have a pair running wasted spark with MS2 on a 4cyl, works a treat.
Tried it with EDIS4 and got equally good results.
Saves about 1/2 a pound in weight over anything else I've seen.

aarc240

Ford coilpacks

Post by aarc240 »

The real problem is when a lead or coilpack fails for any reason then you're screwed - no Ford EDIS type replacements available locally either new or used.

All Ford modulars in Oz are COP. We don't have a Boss 5.0, ours is a Boss 5.4. Dang, Ford Australia didn't even HAVE a V8 of any description from 1983 to 1991!! Even after 1991 they were only an old Ford Windsor 302 tarted up and you didn't dare get water near them or the electronics crapped out.

Sounds like your US manufacturers are still as sloppy as they were 30 years ago. Electronic gremlins are pretty uncommon in Oz regardless of manufacturer once they get past the 'first new model' glitches.

btw Brent, it's NEVER a problem for Ford in designing some swoopy bracket and the tooling to make it - after all the mug buying the car is the one paying for the unnecessarily extra-complicated design.

DannyP

Subaru?

Post by DannyP »

Has anyone tried a Subaru coilpack? It has three wires, a common and the two coils. And the bottom looks flat! I have never heard of one failing, and they are mounted on top of the motor where a lot of heat is. I am installing to a type1 VW, so I have to make hybrid wires, one end Ford and the other VW. Taylor makes some reasonably priced 8mm and up wires, are they available in Oz?
Vintage 550 Spyder replica VW type1 2165cc 9.8:1 Dual Weber 44 IDF RABY motor MJLJ V3/TPS