8 cylinder EGT

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

rocket6706

8 cylinder EGT

Post by rocket6706 »

I am new to the forum so forgive me in advance if there is an existing thread. I searched, but could not find. Has anyone developed an 8 individual cylinder EGT solution. My thought to minimize channel usage is to split left and right to one 0-5v channel each and sample each bank in a switched capacity such that every fourth record will be cylinder X. I could then decompose the two data sets using code to build the 8 EGT view. Just an initial thought.
Rocket 6706

brawta

Post by brawta »

Another approach might be to use an analog-to-CAN conversion module. For example this comes up in a Google search: http://www.texense.com/en/produits/raci ... n_104.html. Don't know for sure, but it might be pricey.

rocket6706

Post by rocket6706 »

Thanks Brawta: I will investigate. When I get my RCP ( soon) I will be able to protype multiple configurations and concepts. Based on my research here are the parts of the puzzle so far:
1. Employ an 8:1 MUX chip (analog deviced ADG526A) and feed it to a programmable port to decompose the signal and write results to a 8 channel file.
2. Started reading the section on virtual ports that may/may not work with number 1.
3. I scratched out a hardware only solution that works, just need to come up to speed on CAN bus protocol.

My vehicle is a 1934 Ford roadster with a naturally aspirated engine. The engine is a V8 305cid that spins upward of 10,000 rpm. EGT, is my number one problem. Inlet pressure second, and the rest nice to know.
Rocket 6706

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Keep us updated! if you want some help with the hardware design and contribute it as an open source project we can certainly help move that along. CAN bus integration is a really good idea.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

rocket6706

Open Source

Post by rocket6706 »

Brent: I will keep you posted and of course I am all about open source. Just need to get it from brain to paper and then to prototype. Should have something emulated by end of January.
Rocket 6706

brawta

Re: 8 cylinder EGT

Post by brawta »

rocket6706 wrote:8 individual cylinder EGT solution
rocket6706, maybe you have already seen this: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/cane ... p-542.html

rocket6706

8 EGT

Post by rocket6706 »

Brawta: It is an intriguing device for sure. I did come across it doing some research.
Rocket 6706