Megajolt v2

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

ZetecNologY

Megajolt v2

Post by ZetecNologY »

A little help needed please, recently bought a car running carbed zetec with megajolt.

Never recieved any disk with car for megajolt, ive took unit apart and inside it says v2.0.1. Ive tried downloading the software on the laptop but its not reading anything when its plugged in and cars running etc.

Off the V2 software page ive downloaded v3.0.0 and v3.0.2 to no avail.. Theres nothing for V2??

Ive made sure both com ports are matched, i.e device is on com4 and so is megajolt.

Ive also tried an old laptop with a serial port and still not reading the megajolt. Am i using the right sortware?

Can anyone please help me out as im stuck for mapping the car, thankyou

Any help greatly appreciated, :wink:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

I would say you were using the correct software. I think Brent would be the person to answer this one though as i do not have much experience with V2 megajolts.

Looking on this page http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V2_Downloads which is the one you were looking at. There is a a tuning software called Version 2.0.3 MJLJ Tuning Software right at the bottom of the page. Try this one.

Hope this helps ;)

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

[quote="NITROPIXIE"]I would say you were using the correct software. I think Brent would be the person to answer this one though as i do not have much experience with V2 megajolts.

Looking on this page http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V2_Downloads which is the one you were looking at. There is a a tuning software called [color=red]Version 2.0.3 MJLJ Tuning Software[/color] right at the bottom of the page. Try this one.

Hope this helps ;)

Ryan[/quote]

Thankyou for the reply 8)

I tried to download the Version 2.0.3 that you mentioned but it said it requires [i]java comm api [/i]that i have not been able to find anywhere to download?

To be honest im totally stumped, been trying all day... :(

Anyone help! :wink:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

Thankyou mate much appreciated. Managed to download it.

Can anyone confirm for my megajolt v.2.0.1, I would need the controller software v2.0.3 that i've just downloaded?

Waiting for my friend to bring up the cable so i can try again. Fingers crossed, annoying having the limiter set at 5500rpm when she should go to 7200 no problem..

Is anyone else using v2.0.1? What software are you using etc.

Thankyou in advance

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

Tried that v2.0.3 and still nothing.

Can not get any of the controller software to link up to my megajolt :(

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

There is a test to prove you are getting comms at least between the computer and your megajolt unit without the need for any software. This will require you removing the processor chip from the board and linking 2 pins together on the IC (Integrated Circuit) socket. Then using hyperterminal you should be able to type away and get something come up on the screen.

I'm sure i did an article or something similar about it. Let me see what i can find.

Do you know if the unit was talking to a computer when you bought it??

Where abouts are you located??

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

It is likely that you have the original firmware on your V2 controller.

You should try the version 3.0.0 software for the V2 controller (V2 and V3 shared the same protocol and similar firmware design)

Downloadable from this page:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V2_Downloads

(direct link)
http://www.autosportlabs.net/asl_dist/m ... v3.0.0.exe

After installation, be sure to configure the serial port correctly. Using a computer with a built-in serial port is a good place to start, as some USB-serial adapters can cause additional problems.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

NITROPIXIE wrote:There is a test to prove you are getting comms at least between the computer and your megajolt unit without the need for any software. This will require you removing the processor chip from the board and linking 2 pins together on the IC (Integrated Circuit) socket. Then using hyperterminal you should be able to type away and get something come up on the screen.

I'm sure i did an article or something similar about it. Let me see what i can find.

Do you know if the unit was talking to a computer when you bought it??

Where abouts are you located??
Yeah he said he had the disk and data cable but had misplaced them and he was the one that put the limiter at 5500 so it must have been talking to a computer at some point! Tbh i wish i just had the disk..

Would the cable matter do you think as im using the cable that was supplied with my friends emerald system? I shouldnt think so??

Im north east mate, in newcastle, no body local touches mj?

Thankyou for all your help

Ben

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

brentp wrote:Hello,

It is likely that you have the original firmware on your V2 controller.

You should try the version 3.0.0 software for the V2 controller (V2 and V3 shared the same protocol and similar firmware design)

Downloadable from this page:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V2_Downloads

(direct link)
http://www.autosportlabs.net/asl_dist/m ... v3.0.0.exe

After installation, be sure to configure the serial port correctly. Using a computer with a built-in serial port is a good place to start, as some USB-serial adapters can cause additional problems.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Ive tried v3.0.0 but it was the beta version, would that make a difference? ill try again with that one. Fingers crossed, supposed to be taking the car to a rwyb day this weekend..

Ill also try with my daughters laptop as its older and has serial ports so no need for the adapter etc.

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply, starting to turn into a nightmare!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Keep us posted! the newer config software requires the updated firmware on the controller- my hunch is that is *has not* been updated. give the one I suggested a try.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

Thankyou brent i'll try again tomorro.. Could it be the cable? Its the one that came with my friends emerald system, should imagine it will work the same?

Cheers for all your help

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Most likely the wrong software version.

Another test is to verify if the Megajolt controls ignition advance, if it's connected to a running EDIS installation. Point a timing light at the trigger wheel while engine is running and vary RPM; if you observe the ignition advance change then the unit is basically 'alive'
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Zetec, if you cannot get the unit working then post it to me and i can have a look at it if you would like but obviously it wont be back in time for the weekend?? I'm currently near Edinburgh which is 2.5 hours from you (during the week til Thursday) if that's any good, but i don't currently have access to my laptop and my tools, although i can get tools.

Otherwise to try and get it to communicate for this weekend and you still have had no luck with the correct software then you could try another serial cable (it should be the same as the emerald) and failing that replace the max232a chip, which fundamentally provides communciation between the processor chip and a computer. The chips are only cheap and are available from RS components, they may also be available from Maplins if you have a local branch. I have a couple of these at home but as you need it for this weekend its not much good to you.

Brent, I believe the megajolt is functioning correctly as the rev limiter is operational.

ZetecNologY

Post by ZetecNologY »

Thankyou brentp, i've downloaded that v3.0.0.. Gonna try again shortly. As said i think the mj is definatley working, as it definatley doesent seem in limp mode and it limits really early at 5500 when the zetecs make peak power at around 7000.

Will have another day at it and if im not getting anywhere, im sure ill be back :D

My friend was saying yesterday, could the port where the serial cable connects be corroded? As the mj has been mounted in the engine bay and has not had a plastic cap over the serial port? Thought it was worth an ask! That also brings me to the question, are the MJ's best mounted inside the car instead of under the bonnet or can you get away with it?

And lastly NITROPIXIE thankyou for the advice, i'll try a few more things!! And if im still not getting anywhere after the weekend, i think i'll take you up on that offer!

Surely can't be this hard to do! :shock: