Waterproofing the Megajolt

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Gassed'58

Waterproofing the Megajolt

Post by Gassed'58 »

I came across what I thought was a good idea for waterproofing the Megajolt unit recently in a Land Rover forum that I use. The picture below shows the Version 2 of the Megajolt unit (filled with clear rubbery wax waterproofing ) and much like the stuff that is found within the EDIS modules themselves.

http://thecove.org.uk/Photos/image-cach ... isp640.jpg

I contacted the original poster who told me the rubbery stuff was " Jelly Wax " and that he often encapsulates critical electronics in epoxy, but says this has the advantage in that it can be just scraped out if there is a need to replace any of the chips.

Jelly Wax ...... http://www.candlemakers.co.uk/cmproduct ... waxes.html ( look at the bottom of the page ).

I was wondering what the wise sages on the forum made of this idea ? Obviously moisture would be kept out but what about the unit coping with temperature ? Is the MJLJ suited to such encapsulation ? I am based in the UK and my yet to be fitted MJLJ will be fitted into a '58 Landrover.
All advice welcomed.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

While the jelly would make things very messy for maintenance, the unit generates little heat, so that aspect should not be a problem.

Others have solved the same problem by placing the unit (and other sensitive gear) in a waterproof enclosure with sealed bulkhead fittings to pass wires through.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Gassed'58

Post by Gassed'58 »

Good day Brent and yes your reply is of great help to me. Thankyou.
My reason for posting is that a Landrover is prone to water ingress / leaks /condensation ( character ? :roll: ) and this combined with roof off motoring would make a waterproof enclosure challenging. I shall go down this route once my install has had a good shakedown. Thanks again, its appreciated.
Geoff.

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

A simple trick that the Radio Control Boat guys use is to get a large size balloon, stretch the neck open and pop the electronics inside, then put a few rubber bands around the neck where the wires come out, with some silicon or vaseline amongst the wires if you want to be really sure..

Cheapy, easy amd simple to get the bits out again if you need to.
:)

Gassed'58

Post by Gassed'58 »

Hi Spocky-Tech, thats a simple and effective idea, never heard of that before. Should work well. Thanks for the input.