3D Printed Nexus 7 Mount

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

madjak

3D Printed Nexus 7 Mount

Post by madjak »

I've designed a 3D printed Nexus 7 mount to that I can mount the tablet on my MX5 center console. It's based around the 2012 model but I think will work fine with the 2013 model also. It has a side port for access to the USB socket and a bottom port for the docking pins.

It's made of two parts. The main bracket holder which the nexus clips into, and then a face plate which can be 3D printer or laser cut from aluminium / carbon fiber.

I've done a test print of the main bracket holder and the Nexus slots in nicely. So nice that you hardly need the face plate and the USB port has the secondary purpose of keying the Nexus into the bracket. I'll probably manually trim the face plate from a carbon fiber sheet I have.

PM me if you want the 3D files

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is fantastic! could we share the CAD files on our wiki?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

madjak

Post by madjak »

brentp wrote:This is fantastic! could we share the CAD files on our wiki?
Sure, I'll get it all mounted up first and see if I can get the contact pins to work right. There might be a few tweaks required to the model.

I think I read you are planning on adding a review option to the Android software. It would be awesome if once a session is complete, I could download, disconnect and review the log via the tablet.

madjak

Post by madjak »

I'm still awaiting my contact pins to rock up, but in the mean time, here a link to an OBJ of the base and DWG cad of the front plate: https://lastpixel.box.com/s/gczim6t7mo4 ... m9d52g35x4

This base is currently designed for a front plate to be made out of aluminium or carbon fibre. If anyone would rather just a 3D print I could remove the holes and extend the front edge a little to more securely hold the tablet. I don't really like seeing the plastic hence the cover plate. The tablet actually clips into the base very snugly and is held in by the USB cable.

Here are some shots of it mounted in my car:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Madjak,

this is great! Ok if we host these files on our wiki?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter