RCP MK1 - expansion port active?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

momostallion

RCP MK1 - expansion port active?

Post by momostallion »

Hey guys, is the expansion port active on the MK1 unit currently active? Is the same pin out as MK2?

As you know I've been waiting around for the OBD2 to CAN cable for a while but recently I've discovered the world of CAN high/low.

Now that I am in the know, I'd actually rather have my OBD2 port open for my present tuning device (as I dont think you can use a OBD2 splitter) and use the 2 wire CAN to connect to the RCP so I am wondering if I make an RJ45 cable with GND, CAN1 High and CAN1 Low and tap into those wires on my car... would I have access to CAN data and I could script virtual channels?

Shiftlink

Post by Shiftlink »

I just opened mine up today and found the RJ45 socket was not soldered to the board. I soldered it myself using a large chisel tip and the drag method. If your having trouble with your expansion port you might want to check to make sure it's soldered.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

It's important to note that the MK1 expansion port is completely different than MK2. The MK1 makes available a single SPI port which can be used to expand via a digital interface.

For MK1, we have the CANx module, which takes this SPI channel and turns it into a CAN bus channel.
https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx

The V2 firmware enables OBD2 querying as well as generic CAN bus interactions via Lua.

We have a few CANx modules available for beta testing, if anyone has a use for it please email [email protected].

@Shiftlink - ouch, that's not good. is this an MK1 or MK2 unit? Good job fixing it. With MK2 we went from a surface mount RJ45 socket to a through hole RJ45, for better strength.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

So I have a Mk1, and have been waiting for the CANx module since I bought it (it was the ONLY reason I bought an RCP). The link above doesn't work. What's happening with this?

My car doesn't have an OBD2 port, but does have CAN hi & lo from the ECU.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - Which link above is broken / does not work?

We are gauging interest in the CANx module to determine how big of a production run we want to do. In the meantime we've been creating one-off units.

We'll add the ability to special-order these in the store and follow up here with a link. Thanks for the feedback.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

Hi Brent,
brentp wrote:Hi - Which link above is broken / does not work?
The github one, but I guess it could be my work proxy....
brentp wrote: We are gauging interest in the CANx module to determine how big of a production run we want to do. In the meantime we've been creating one-off units.
I'm absolutely interested in one please :) When can I get one?
:wink:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi- we just added a few to the online store. They are all hand built, but tested.

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/ca ... on-module/
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter