How to get i2c sensors to feed the RCP

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

MichaelDrost

How to get i2c sensors to feed the RCP

Post by MichaelDrost »

Hello all,

Just had an idea ...

If you use an Arduino board and a i2c sensor, it shouldn't be that hard to have the Arduino output all data it receives from the i2c address to one of it's analog or digital outputs. That way, the Arduino does all translating and can even be configured to output to whatever scale you like.

One thing I'm thinking of, is zeroing a gyro at 2.5v and comparing it's input, with maybe a GPS sensor's change in heading, and then outputting the difference to the RCP. Better yet, stick one gyro between the front axles and one between the rear, bit of math ... With a gy-52 /MPU-6050 gyro for $11,40, a real Arduino for $30 and Venus 638 FLPx GPS for $50,- from Sparkfun, you'd have a highly accurate slip-angle sensor for approx $100,-

Just a little Sunday morning bright spark ...

M.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Michael,

The expansion port next to the terminal block exposes the processor's SPI port. You could use the Arduino to be a bridge between I2C and SPI.

Sounds like an interesting project!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

MichaelDrost

Post by MichaelDrost »

Am reading up on SPI communication right now!

I like the idea of interfacing through SPI a lot ... Saves ports as a bonus, too!

This will be continued!

Michael