EDIS 6 on an 4 cilinder?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

theyoyo187

EDIS 6 on an 4 cilinder?

Post by theyoyo187 »

Hi there Ive bought an strange type of megajolt, i think its an v3 but they changed it.
They built the edis (6) unit into the board and there is also built in an hard ref limmiter.
I found some info about it i think it is from morspeed

The previous owner used it on an 6 cilinder jaguar i beleave, but now im using it on an vw 16v with R1 carbs.

The problem is if i rev up the engine then i get a lot of misfires while revving.

I dont know what the problem is Ive checked al the eartings and directly made directly positive connections

thanks,

texpis

Post by texpis »

I'm not a massive expert on this system but I would have thought you cannot run edis 6 on a 4 cylinder, the edis fires in pairs so when it fires the last 2 you wont have a spark to your engine.

Mick

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

yes but ive only used 2 coils does it mean that the edis 6 fires on 60 degrees? and the edis 4 on 90 degrees?

the engine runs nicely but if you rev it up it fires in the exhaust...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That sounds odd! Do you have any pictures of the unit - internal / external?

Agree - a 6 cylinder EDIS should not work properly on a 4 cylinder.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also: as an FYI, We removed the extra duplicate posts. Please continue the conversation in this thread!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

I don't have any pictures ik could make some if you like, and how do i put them here?

i found one picture on the web...

But i found out that there is a hard rev limmiter build into, and thats correct because of the backfire when it's in the limmiter ( just loud explosions and flames up to 50 cm)

The motocraft edis 6 is build into the main board , it looks really clean.

thanks,

i made some pictures can't upload them it gives an error tried uploading empty file
Attachments
imagesCA8M3969.jpg
imagesCA8M3969.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 12655 times

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

tomorrow i will go to the junkyard and get an edis 4 unit, hoping it's gonna solve the problem

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Some pictures of what is inside the box would be very helpful if you can make them available.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

I have make some pictures but i can't upload them... keeps telling tried to upload an emty file
what can i do to upload the pics?

Here you see the edis underneath the board

on this pic you could see how the edis is soldered into the board...

Hope you can see them now...

cng1

Post by cng1 »

That is very interesting. That isn't any version of the Megajolt that I recognise. It is possible that someone has designed their own board using some of the same chips as the Megajolt so that they can use the same firmware/software. Brent will know for certain but I don't recall anyone having an arrangement to do that.

When you bought the system were you given a disk with the software for it on there - if so is it definitely the Megajolt configurator that is on there? Given that it isn't a standard ECU it may not work with the normal software so getting to the bottom of what software it expects is the next step.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

ive bought it arround a year ago and the previous owner had it laying around for a couple of years so i think it around 3 to 4 years old

it was running on v2 software i've upgrated it to 3.2.1 software with 2.8 ? firmware or something...
I did it the same way as was discriped on the autosportlabs site...

i found out that morspeed is an tuner for mini rover and jaguar they sold them for arround 150+ pounds

By the way i live in the nederlands i've bought it over here from somebody.

I found out last week when i was searching for the model it was'nt V1 V2 v3 or v4
so then is was looking for megaspark it wasn't that eighter... so with al little search i found an picture alike that was from morespeed, but if it runs im happy

greets

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Oh my. That is interesting.

I think that says KX8 on the processor chip, so it would be a version 2 / version 3 lineage, so the V2/V3 software is what you would want.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

i can't read the text on the chip it's really small and black on black
but it runs on the v3 software but im keep getting backfires but i think thats because of the edis 6 on an 4 cilinder
the only thing is that edis modules are really hard to get here in the netherlands
next monday i hear from someone who has an edis but doesn't know wich one... i hope it's an edis 4

if you guy's want some more info about the chips or something just ask...

cheers,

cng1

Post by cng1 »

If you're stuck for an EDIS-4 give us a shout, we have plenty here.
www.trigger-wheels.com

theyoyo187

Post by theyoyo187 »

oke thanks
at first i'll try it over here, saves me the money of shipping it