Tacho died (using diodes)

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

DeeZee

Tacho died (using diodes)

Post by DeeZee »

The original dash instruments on the 1992 Ford Sierra were running off the single coil on the 1.8ltr CVH engine. To get the tacho to work with the new 2ltr 16 valve engine and MJ I used the diodes (1N4004) on the coils, with a zener (1.3w 15v). However it was super erratic, so I ditched the zener and all was well for a while.

After around 20 minutes use the tacho has ceased working again. Should I try replacing the diodes and put a different rated zener diode in there? I'm not sure what wattage the zener diode was meant to be, so I assumed 1.3w was plenty enough. Is there any chance my tacho has been cooked? Or do I need to protect the 1N4004 diodes from the current with resistors or a zener?

trevil

Post by trevil »

I do not use zener on my tach, but I use resistors with each diode. Sees to work ok so far.
Megajolt on 2.4 CHI engine :)

DeeZee

Post by DeeZee »

I have re done the circuit again. Popped on a 1N4007 on each coil, with a 100K ohm resistor in parallel with each. Again this worked fine for around 20 minutes (accumulated over a couple of runs), then the tacho just stopped working. I'll pulling my hair out (what little I have left!) trying to get something to run here, without failing.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Try using pin 11 of the EDIS unit. This is a Clean Tach Output (CTO) of the EDIS and should not give you any problems.

regards

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available