what size of gap does the ford sensor need?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

blakep82

what size of gap does the ford sensor need?

Post by blakep82 »

Hi, i'm struggling to get a decent reliable set up. and i've broken my sensor twice. i can't seem to get my trigger wheel to run concentrically, but instead when it spins it moves side to side, the best i've managed is 3mm movement.

i saw this pic on here

and thought something like this might work better

not a brilliant picture, but you get the idea. the smaller diameter cylinder is the alternator pulley

what sort of diameter should the holes be? or can it just be slots cut into the disc? does it matter if they're not the same width as the head of the sensor itself?

this is driving me metal now lol

cheers!

edit: oh, and do the gaps need to be the same size as the solid metal parts?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

- Gap between sensor and wheel size should be about 1mm
- hole size should be such that the hole diameter to metal space ratio is 50/50.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

blakep82

Post by blakep82 »

awesome thanks Brent it was the sort of 50/50 ratio i needed.
is there a sort of minimum size recommended for the holes though? i mean, say the holes were only 5mm across, and the metal between was the same, would that cause problems at higher RPM? or is it still able to detect it well enough? I esitmate at the moment, it should be nearer 10mm each, but i don't know yet exactly

i think the wheel i got just now, the gaps are about 7mm, and scaled up, it looks about 8/9mm for what i need, but thats without being near the car

once its working, the system itself looks like it will be awesome, its a v3 board i've got i think? bought it years ago before i was anywhere near ready. wish i'd waited for the later ones though. will be great once they support bluetooth and android phones ;)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

No minimum hole size, just pick a drill bit diameter that gives that 50/50 ratio.

Your V3 should work just fine! Please let us know when you get it up and running!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

blakep82

Post by blakep82 »

awesome, good man!
I have had it running, but with the trigger not being centred, not very well, and the teeth on the trigger kept rubbing against my sensor and even pushing it out the way, til it broke... hope my new approach should work better

but here's the first start video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3eKGBIy-d4
of course that was back in 2009, just with EDIS, absolutely no doubt megajolt will work, its brilliant!

but plan to get it running a bit better in the next week or two