GM Map sensor's ???

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

SSDD

GM Map sensor's ???

Post by SSDD »

Hi All, is it possible to use a Map sensor from a Gm vehicle as apposed to the on board jobby. I looked at the PCB layout and as far as I can make out the MPX4250 only use 3 of the 6 pins. I have here a sh*t load of Vauxhall\Opel bulkhead map sensors that have a 3 wire connection, if this is possible PLEASE can someone tell me what connection go’s to what connection. I will be using the system on a 1700 X-flow engine with 40’s, if I drill each inlet tube and connect all 4 together & then connect it to the map sensor, would this be better or am I best changing the system to TPS ??

Thanks
Steve
She's a bit fat, but DIESEL fitter

KITT

Not sure

Post by KITT »

Not sure if the GM map sensor will work or not but I'd guess it probably will. Most sensors are 5v which is what Megajolt needs. Best thing to do is just try it.

Regarding the wiring, just modify the board as if using a TPS like this:

http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/assembly.php

at the bottom of the page. The 3 wires are same :o)

regards

Matt

SSDD

Hi Matt, Thanks for that but

Post by SSDD »

Hi Matt, Thanks for that but I need a bit more info please. Does the TPS not have 3 connections? You wrote

“at the bottom of the page. The 3 wires are same :o)�

where am I looking ???

Thanks
Steve
She's a bit fat, but DIESEL fitter

KITT

in a rush

Post by KITT »

Sorry Steve, Was in a bit of a hurry earlier as I had to pop out.

The throttle pot indeed has three wires:

- +5v
- 0v
- Signal

If you solder your board together like mine, with the TPS modification, you'll have these 3 connections. About 2/3s down that page is a photo labelled "Molex pins" which has these three label which are what you have to wire up to the GM map sensor. I don't know which is which on the GM sensor so you'll have to try to find out.

I'm not sure what's better regarding TPS or MAP sensor but I went for TPS as it's cheaper and doesn't require drilling of inlet manifolds etc. A Mondeo TPS can be had for peanuts from a scrappy, and I'll add the mounting information to my site next weekend once I've done it.

regards

Matt