Firing order question and general confusion!

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Sammy D

Firing order question and general confusion!

Post by Sammy D »

Hello! First post here and I am royaly stuck.

I have a classic Mini running an EDIS4 system with MJLJ V3.2.1.

I've been trying to start my new engine with this set up and after a lot of frustration I got it firing on 2 cylinders.

I've already been questioning on a Mini forum, so if you guys wouldn't mind having a read at;

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... opic=93933

As quite a few questions have already been answered so that should save some time!

Thank you!

Sam.

dave9469

Re: Firing order question and general confusion!

Post by dave9469 »

Hi Sam

I've read the posts on the mini forum, what a p1$$ about you've had.

What I'd suggest is to

1 - reinstall your coil and dizzy to get the car running and prove everything is still OK.
2 - have the EDIS setup running, not connected to the megajolt at first.
3 - connect a strobe light to 1 on the coil pack, the other end through a spare spark plug to the engine block. This should be a steady 10'BTDC.
4 - if this works connect the strobe to 4 and check it's still 10'BTDC (1 and 4 are the same coil so this is just to check everything is OK).
5 - Now to test the other coil, just swap the LV wires round on the coil pack so 2 & 3 now fire at 10'BTDC.
6 - Now swap the LV wires back and still on 2 & 3 check there is a spark, it will be 180' out though. this checks the other LV output is firing.
7 - If all the above work that's proved the EDIS, coil pack and pick up.
8 - At this stage you could connect the coil pack to the car (Coil pack 1 to plug 1, 2>2, 3>3 & 4>4 this gives a firing order of 1, 3, 4 & 2)
9 - You should now have a running engine at a steady 10'BTDC.
10 - Reconnect the Megajolt and it should all work. If you have a problem now I'd go back to the dizzy setup and see what information the megajolt is telling you. Is there an RPM reading and does the MAP or TPS readings look OK? Does the ignition map values look OK. Have you followed the instructions in the operation guide?

Hope this helps

Dave

paulc

Post by paulc »

re: #2

My wiring harness is all complete, heat-shrinked and loomed. Is this as simple as just unplugging the one main MJLJ plug?

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

Should be as long as you aren't getting the coil pack power from the REV_LIMIT output.

Have you get the care running OK on the original dizzy setup yet?