is it working ?

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

fragged8

is it working ?

Post by fragged8 »

hiya
all wired and connected to the pc ok using a 12 chordless drill battery for mobile power..

with only the power connected is it correct for the load to read 99KPa ?
and the rpm to read about 250 ?

the map sensor works if i suck the outlet but goes from 99 down to about 15 ? is it working in reverse ?

thx

richard

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Yes, if you can use the software to communicate with the MJLJ (load/retrieve ignition configs) and you can observe the MAP pressure changing (more vacuum = lower KPa) then it's alive.

The next step is to get your EDIS installation working, if you haven't already and hook up the PIP & SAW lines as appropriate, and then finally, when the engine is running under EDIS, verify ignition timing is being controlled by the MJLJ by using a timing light.

As you've probably seen, the full vehicle install document is located in the wiki ('how to' link).

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

fragged8

wow fast reply...

Post by fragged8 »

i only posted my question 2 mins ago what a fast reply :D

thx for that, its raining cats and dogs here at the mo so hooking up to the engine will have to wait a bit

im putting it on a ford pinto 1.8 ohc , the manifold has 2 holes in it already that i wont be using for anything else they are on the 2 outside inlet ports
can i use a fuel filter as a resevoir for the MAP like the mini A series suggestion i read earlier ? instead of tapping into the other 2
inlets.

thx

richard

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Wow - you can suck to 15kPa - I can only do about 30kPa and go like this (and a lot redder too!) ---> :shock:

I think you win as the biggest sucker on this web site 8)

And to be serious for a moment, what you observe sounds perfect - 99 is atmospheric (must be low pressure/at altitude?) and 15 is the vacuum you get by sucking...the bigger the vacuum, the lower the manifold air pressure/the more closed the throttle/the smaller the number

fragged8

altitude

Post by fragged8 »

im in the flatlands of east anglia.. probably only 50 feet above sea level..
i expect the terrible weather is having an effect ?

whats the difference between Kpa and millibars ?
i do wish the world would just stick to one measuring method

thx

richard

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

I've just typed "Kpa and millibars" into Google and got overwhelmed with the number of hits....

Give it a go....

...and I think you're therefore measuring 990 millibars, which isn't far off the 1004 that the BCC Weather site is saying for Ipswich today...14 error in 1004 = 1.4% error

Is your Vcc still 4.7v or has it sorted itself out?

fragged8

millibars

Post by fragged8 »

hiya
i'll try google later ..

i want to fit a power on led so i'll check the 5v output but i cant imagine it has changed although
i have noticed electronics can 'run in' so i will check it.

I wont blow anything will i if i measure across the component ?

thx

richard

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

I doubt these electronics will bed in - maybe if it was a plasma TV or a high-end hi-fi :)

You won't damage anything when you measure unless you slip...

A 5v LED (make sure it's a 5v one, not an ordinary one) across the +5v supply will be fine. if it's an ordinary LED, then a 180R resistor will be needed...

fragged8

led`

Post by fragged8 »

i got hundreds of leds most are 3.3v but i expect i can find a resistor or two.

call me paranoid but when its pi*sing down and the car has developed a fault 20 miles from home
an led will help to rule out another possible cause :?

I also have an Ipaq palmtop and want to try using that with the MJ but thats a long way off yet..

richard