Triumph TR6 Up and Running

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Cees

Triumph TR6 Up and Running

Post by Cees »

After installing all bits&pieces according instructions and advise on the websites and the several forum topics THE moment was there to start the engine up. Checked the communication with the Configurator and load a basic MAP to start with (basically with some known values from my "old" distributor).
And guess what .. it simply started to run on the first attempt!
So thank you Brent and all active forummembers for posting your experiences on this website this make's the installation relative simple and if was much fun to do!
The only problem I experienced was that the engine did not stop directly when the ignition was switched off, but also this problem was discussed in one of the forums so placing a diode in the battery chargelight circuit solves the problem. The engine, 2.5 ltr 6 cylinder (Triumph TR6), really was idling much smoother and also during my initial drive today no problems at all, was just enjoying the lightshow on my laptop watching the advance, rpm and loadindicator dials, brilliant!!!
So now I am up to do some tuning to get the best out of it (Loaded the 3.1 version Firmware and Configurator). Will post some picture' s of my installation later.
Attachments
Not much room to add a toothed wheel, have the original crankwheel machineshopped with the 36-1 teeth...
Not much room to add a toothed wheel, have the original crankwheel machineshopped with the 36-1 teeth...
DSC00496.JPG (49.33 KiB) Viewed 15149 times
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG (53.63 KiB) Viewed 15207 times
Notice the brown/purple wire switched it over to get another firing sequence from the coil, normally A,C,B with the wires switched it is A,B, C allowing to put the plugleads without crossing (depending of your firingorder of course)
Notice the brown/purple wire switched it over to get another firing sequence from the coil, normally A,C,B with the wires switched it is A,B, C allowing to put the plugleads without crossing (depending of your firingorder of course)
DSC_0011.JPG (63.24 KiB) Viewed 15207 times

mwman

Post by mwman »

Hi, I am fitting a system to my Mk2 Vitesse (2.5L). I had considered machining the front pulley however, they have an integral harmonic damper which means the pulley is not directly attached to the crank.
Have you had any problems? I have gone for a different setup, see picture.
Attachments
timingwheel
timingwheel
TimingWheel.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 14855 times

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Hi - and welcome!

EDIT: was random mutterings that were actually incorrect so deleted to protect future readers getting the wrong end of the stick :oops:
Last edited by MartinM on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwman

Post by mwman »

The sensor is going in the middle of the timing cover, the sensor has to be 60 degrees after the gap (engine does go clockwise as viewed), the pointer you can see is picking up on timing markings on the crank pulley / damper.
If you count six teeth anti clockwise from the gap, there is a rib. I am having a steel block machined to straddle this, it will be welded to the cover. It will have two tapped holes to mount the Alloy block for the sensor, this will have oval holes too alow me to set 10 degrees without Megajolt input.
I hope that makes the installation clear.

Simon

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Hi Simon - that all sounds good - look forward to more pictures!

mwman

Post by mwman »

Thanks, I hope to offer the setup to other six and four cylinder Triumph engined cars.
I am having three "blocks" machined that weld to the cover, this is a good spot as it is "inside" the fan belt loop.
For the four cylinder cars, I will have the locking holes on the timing wheel drilled 30 degrees anticlockwise as viewed in the picture, to give the 90 degree gap required, I hope!!

Regards
Simon

mwman

Post by mwman »

Martin, I'm glad you think I have it right, you had me worried!
I took my time working out what looked best, the silly little pointer on the cover does confuse the issue!

Simon

mwman

Post by mwman »

And at last I have the bits ready to weld to the timing chain cover!

Simon
Attachments
PIC00019.JPG
PIC00019.JPG (157.55 KiB) Viewed 14637 times
PIC00018.JPG
PIC00018.JPG (170.71 KiB) Viewed 14641 times

AndyGT6

Post by AndyGT6 »

Hi,

Just for interest, here are a couple of pictures of my trigger wheel mounted on my GT6 ( also 2.5L ), I had the pulley extension machined and the wheel welded to it. The VR sensor is mounted on the timing cover bolts. The bracket is not quite finished as it needs a bit more welding once I am happy that the timing is correct and then a lick of paint.

Andy
Attachments
DSC01813.JPG
DSC01813.JPG (136.09 KiB) Viewed 14399 times
DSC01802.JPG
DSC01802.JPG (133.36 KiB) Viewed 14400 times
DSC01792.JPG
DSC01792.JPG (138.26 KiB) Viewed 14400 times