Shield Cable - Can you use USB Cable?

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Dean924s

Shield Cable - Can you use USB Cable?

Post by Dean924s »

Has anyone used USB cable for the PIP and the SAW wires? It Is cheap, and is a shielded cable BUT the gauge of the wire is very thin. 25-30 ga????

I guess the real question is how much load is on these wires.

This also goes for the VR sensor. USB cable would be a great solution BUT again the gauge is so darn thin. I think the real problem may be the environment in the engine compartment.
Respectfully

Dean

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Dean, I used some nice heavy shielded stuff from an older Subaru(wrecking yard). They have many wires that need shielding, so easy to find. All I found are two conductor plus shield, exactly what we need. About 5/16" diameter, and looks like 18 or 20 gauge conductors inside.

Started and ran right out of the box, no interference or problems of any kind. The Suby wires are for cam, crank, and speed sensors, same as our requirements.

Dimbit

Post by Dimbit »

I used a 4-core burglar alarm cable for pip/saw and to the TPS. It was about the thinnest wire I've ever had to strip but works fine. We're not running huge currents here.

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

Sheilded/Screened microphone cable is dirt cheap, easy to get and easy to use.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Gilesy998 wrote:Sheilded/Screened microphone cable is dirt cheap, easy to get and easy to use.
Agreed. Radio Shack should have what you need.

Midas

Post by Midas »

Gilesy998 wrote:Sheilded/Screened microphone cable is dirt cheap, easy to get and easy to use.
Glad to hear that, I've just raided Maplins

:D

nickj

Post by nickj »

I used shielded TP network cable. Thin gauge, so I paired the wires. Seems to work ok, but the car isn't on the road yet!

Nick