edis and coil?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

2002john

edis and coil?

Post by 2002john »

Is it possible to use original coil and distributer with fixed advance on rotor arm, using doide arrangement minus zener diode for tach output, to send signal to coil from edis? This would give a original period look.

TwoSheds

Re: edis and coil?

Post by TwoSheds »

Hi John,
I may have misunderstood here, but I think that you are after a system that uses a crank-trigger with EDIS and MegaJolt to give you a controlled, programmable advance curve but using an original coil and distributor? Some people may already know the answer for certain - but nobody has posted yet so here are my rambling thoughts on the subject:

Assuming you have a four cylinder engine:

EDIS-8 has 4 coil-outputs so it would appear that you could bring these outputs together into one (via a diode pack) and run your conventional coil from that. BUT: The dwell is controlled by EDIS and is designed for the spare-spark system, so my prediction is that from maybe 3000rpm (that's a total guess) the "on"s designed for separate coils would get so close to each other that your single conventional coil would be swamped.

EDIS-4 only has two coil-outputs, so with a conventional coil and dizzy, you could perhaps use a 72-2 wheel? Then you could bring the outputs together into one (as above) and run your conventional coil from that. Still the main problem I would foresee is the possibility of the dwell angles designed for two coils overlapping at high revs, but then EDIS will 'think' that you are revving twice what you are, and so may reduce the dwell angle enough for it to work.

So... IMHO: The second option is worth a try..

Now watch this - I bet a grown-up will be along soon to explain why my theories are rubbish - always happens ;)

TwoSheds
p.s. I understand where you are coming from here, but the idea would seem (to me) to be akin to drilling holes in your new Goretex boots to make them leak like your authentic old ones :lol: