68HC908 end of life

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mga4040

68HC908 end of life

Post by mga4040 »

I noticed the processor used is no longer manufactured. :( As of 07/30/07 There is no pin for pin replacement.
Will there be any mods/ software changes to accomodate this and allow use of one of the newer generation processors? I recently lost a processor when my alternator regulator died. Luckily digikey had a replacement.
Adam

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Adam,

That is correct. Parts reach end of life on a regular basis, especially parts like microcontrollers/cpu's where you see continuous development on the part of the manufacturers.

However, there's no need to worry. We have plenty of stock on the current processor and we plan to have on hand spares for cases like yours. Note that your case appears to be the first bona-fide processor failure I've known of in 1000's of MJLJs.

I presume you had an over-voltage situation when your alternator failed? In those cases the voltage regulator on the MJLJ board should have gone into over-voltage shutdown mode. What else was damaged on your MJLJ board? Oscillator, MAX232a ? And did your EDIS module survive?

If, after we phase in the next generation ignition controller there's still a demand for an EDIS only controller, it will be a very simple board and firmware rev to migrate to a replacement processor.

Also, for current users, if we somehow deplete our spares, a simple processor adapter board could be quickly made.

Thanks for the inquiry!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Oliver Sedlacek

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

It appears that you can still get the processor in a surface mount package. I've ordered a few to try out, and I can let you know if there are any problems.