TPS Construction

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MartinM

TPS Construction

Post by MartinM »

I'm building a MJLJ with TPS. The established way to physically connect the TPS seems to be to use the NC pin 4 of the Molex as the TPS In and use the PGM4 pin as the +5V to the TPS. This sacrifices the PGM4 output.

How about this as an idea that keeps PGM4?....
...pins 6 and 7 are cross-connected and used for +12V In. If I break the PCB track between them, I can use one of them as the TPS +5V. The net result is ;
TPS +5v - pin 6 (or maybe pin 7 - depends on which is easier to do..I don't have my PCB to hand)
TPS In - pin 4
TPS Ground - pin 9
+12v - pin 7 (or 6!) only
PGM4 - unchanged
All others unchanged

I can't really see why there are two pins on the Molex for +12v - it's not like the unit draws much power from +12v and the current capacity of even one pin is probably far in excess of what the PCB tracks could take anyway.

Thoughts please?
TIA, Martin

brentp
Site Admin

Interesting idea. Yes, it

Post by brentp »

Interesting idea. Yes, it was overkill to double up the pins for +12v and GND on the V2 controller.

You could build your unit for MAP sensor operation, sell it to a friend, and then re-order a V3 board, which has native support for TPS. As you can see on the V3 connector pinout, the GND and +12v are now using only one pin each.
http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=node/495

Regards,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

MartinM

Thanks Brent. I'll give it

Post by MartinM »

Thanks Brent. I'll give it a go.

Is there a schematic for V3 anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing what the TPS voltage conditioning circuit is - is it on the +5v out, or on the TPS In voltage? Do you believe it is a must have or nice to have - since there seems to be many V2's running OK with just a straight +5V from the regulator to the TPS and TPS In straight to R7?

Ta, Martin
PS how do we get hold of V3 boards in the UK please?

brentp
Site Admin

I'm in the process of

Post by brentp »

I'm in the process of revamping the information on the website.. I'll have all of the relevent information broken down by 'project' , with the primary entry point under the Information Library Link.

I should have that up this weekend.

The Vref conditioning is on the +5v out.

You can order the V3 board from the Order page. I'm shipping them right now.

Regards,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter