WiFi/WCDMA telemetry

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

zechdz

WiFi/WCDMA telemetry

Post by zechdz »

Hi first post here, just got my hardware in the mail and excited to take it for a test run :)

So unlike many of you here i'm a motorcycle racer so I'm trying to think of ways to use the RCP without having to strap down a cellphone (visible or not visible) and worry about charging etc.

I live in Japan so the GSM module was out of scope since GSM doesn't work here.
I was wondering if there is any WCDMA module in the pipeline, or more plausibly a Wifi module.

I had one idea for Wifi telemetry which is to use the rx/tx of the bluetooth rj11 port and wire it to a wifi module. I purchased this (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00Z ... UTF8&psc=1) and plan on testing it out.

I was wondering if anyone has tried something similar and if anyone knows to what extent I will need to dig into the source. I am a programmer so don't mind getting my hands dirty a little, but I guess to start, does the rx/tx of the rj11 do something special to work with bluetooth? Or does connecting any serial connector have a fairly straightforward way to communicate with the RCPs protocol....

I haven't taken the time to look through any source yet, and figured i could get questions answered here faster :)
vroom

stieg

Post by stieg »

Hi first post here, just got my hardware in the mail and excited to take it for a test run Smile
Welcome!
So unlike many of you here i'm a motorcycle racer so I'm trying to think of ways to use the RCP without having to strap down a cellphone (visible or not visible) and worry about charging etc.

I live in Japan so the GSM module was out of scope since GSM doesn't work here.
I was wondering if there is any WCDMA module in the pipeline, or more plausibly a Wifi module.
Never knew until now that Japan has no GSM support. Unfortunately the only way you can do live telemetry is to pair a RCP to a phone/tablet with WCDMA support and have the app forward the telemetry stream. On a motorcycle this is best achieved using a mount for the phone on the dash. This will also allow you to have a dash at the same time.

Currently we have no plans for WCDMA support that I am aware of, but there are 3G and Wifi link features in the pipeline. Unfortunately I can not speculate as to when either of those will be done.
I had one idea for Wifi telemetry which is to use the rx/tx of the bluetooth rj11 port and wire it to a wifi module. I purchased this (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00Z ... UTF8&psc=1) and plan on testing it out.

I was wondering if anyone has tried something similar and if anyone knows to what extent I will need to dig into the source. I am a programmer so don't mind getting my hands dirty a little, but I guess to start, does the rx/tx of the rj11 do something special to work with bluetooth? Or does connecting any serial connector have a fairly straightforward way to communicate with the RCPs protocol....

I haven't taken the time to look through any source yet, and figured i could get questions answered here faster Smile
You will need to dig into the source to add in support for that device. Look in src/loger/connectivityTask.c for where methods are bound. You can see what BT sends by looking in src/devices/bluetooth.c.
Last edited by stieg on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

zechdz

Post by zechdz »

Thanks for the reply.

If you guys need anyone to test out the wifi/3g links let me know ;)
vroom