IR Receiver for Lap Times

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

drj696

IR Receiver for Lap Times

Post by drj696 »

Would it be possible to use an IR Receiver to track lap times. Sometimes we have indoor races and GPS signal is not reliable?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The system is not currently designed to do lap times via a beacon. Not currently on our to-do list either, I'm afraid. Sounds like you're talking about a karting application?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

drj696

Post by drj696 »

Sometimes we race indoors like at the Chili Bowl and GPS does not work well in big metal buildings.

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

Just brainstorming.. if you can get a logic pulse (0-5V or 0-12V) out of your IR sensor, you could hook that to a GPIO input on the RCP, then log that channel at high speed to find start/finish crossing times in your logs. Could maybe use a LUA script to do your own lap timing too. I haven't read up on Lua to know what it can do for numeric outputs to the dashboard. I'm guessing cellphones don't work well inside either, so telemetry isn't a concern?

With IR, what happens if you're side by side with another car as you cross the beam, and can't see the beam through his car? Or do they have multiple emitters shooting across start/finish from different positions?
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

The output of many IR receivers latch the triggered state (whether high or low) for longer than the immediate seconds when the IR breaks the beam. Your logging rate may not need to be that high.