First Test - No Spark

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Dazman1360

First Test - No Spark

Post by Dazman1360 »

I now have all the bits (except the MJ ECU) for my first megajolt installation and thought I'd try it out by getting the car going in limp mode, however I have no spark at all.

Initially I thought it would be a wiring error, but have checked & rechecked everything, this did highlight I had terminals 1 & 3 on the coil pack connector the wrong way round, but correcting this didn't help.

I have also tried the wires to the Crank sensor the opposite way round, but doesn't work either way. Sensor is mounted <1mm from the trigger wheel, so am pretty happy everything is connected as it should.

I'm guessing that either the Coil Pack, EDIS module or crank sensor is faulty? Are there any simple tests to highlight if any of the hardware is not working? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

First of all, are you sure the Edis-module and coilpack get current in cranking mode?

Alex

Dazman1360

Post by Dazman1360 »

Alex B wrote:First of all, are you sure the Edis-module and coilpack get current in cranking mode?

Alex
Good point, only checked power with ignition on not when cranking. Will check on Monday.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Check this section:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... ng_Signals

If you're not seeing spark at all you may need to flip the VR sensor polarity. A common issue.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Going through the first message I believe flipping the VR sensor's polarity was tried.

In order to get to the first time to see sparks flickering it is smart to begin running the engine on the old ignition and connecting the MJ-circuitry in such a way that you can see sparks on an extra set of plugs that are properly connected and grounded. After you actually have see that sparks are flying you can swap plug leads. Better for your starter motor too :wink: .

Alex

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

+1
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Dazman1360

Post by Dazman1360 »

Turned out to be faulty crank sensor, Trigger Wheels have dispatched a replacement, so should be able to try again next week....

Dazman1360

Post by Dazman1360 »

New Crank Sensor fitted and I now have a healthy spark on all 4 plugs whilst cranking, but absolutely no sign of the engine firing.

I have the missing tooth of the trigger wheel at TDC on the pulley and the sensor 90deg anti-cw as seen in the image below, (taken before then engine was fitted).

My understanding is that if set up like this (minus the MJ ECU) it should run at 10deg BTDC (Limp Mode), or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks
Darren

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

What is the rotation direction of the pulley, clockwise or anti clockwise? If the trigger wheel is mounted correctly you should get a 10 degrees btdc with the MJ disconnected. Can you still run the engine on the dizzy? If you have a timing light it is quite simple to check if the trigger wheel is mounted the right way.

Alex

Dazman1360

Post by Dazman1360 »

Hi Alex,

Sorry, should have posted an update. When I first tried to start the car (when the sensor was faulty), I rechecked all the wiring and decided that the wires to pins 1 & 3 on the coil pack were the wrong way round so I changed them. Seems they were right and I shouldn't have, so a quick change back and she fired and run, so now I know that the basics are there I just need to get some funds together to get the MJ ECU.

Cheers
Darren