Capri tacho

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Abarth

Capri tacho

Post by Abarth »

Hi all

I have a Megajolt instalation in a Mk3 Capri fully working, with the exception of the tachometer, I tried to connect to the edis module, but don't work. How can i wire it? A drawing would more apreciated, because my english is horrible.

Best regards

David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi David,

Tachometers vary quite a bit - some can be driven from the IDM output of the EDIS module, or the TACH_OUT of the Megajolt unit. Many require seeing that high-voltage pulse from (-) connection of the original ignition coil - in these cases you can build an adapter circuit that joins the signal from multiple coil packs. Information here:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... back_pulse

We offer a pre-made adapter board as well: http://www.autosportlabs.com/tach-adapter-p-65.html

Please let us know what you end up working out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Abarth

Post by Abarth »

Hi, Brent

I brought a module to Trigger Wheels and i connected according Chris instructions. The tacho works at idle, but whe the rpm are increased, the tacho goes to zero. Any advice?

Best regards

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Abarth,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the design of the Trigger Wheels adapter. Sometimes a tachometer needs to see a small current bypass the blocking diode, as we have in our adapters (see schematic here: http://www.autosportlabs.net/File:Tach_adapter_sch.png ).

When we were adapting an older Porsche 914 tachometer we saw the exact same problem - it worked a bit at idle, then died. Adding at least one 100K bypass resistor across one of the diodes solved the problem.

You might be able to modify the adapter you have to add this diode - it could be a simple operation.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Abarth

Post by Abarth »

Brent

Can you draw an scheme with this modification? I,m not sure wich wire must to do the modification...

cng1

Post by cng1 »

If you click on the link that Brent included that has a diagram for his circuit. For your case you would just add a 100K Ohm resistor onto each of the two wires going into the tacho adaptor and join them to the wire going into the tacho.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Chris!

Abarth, keep us posted on how that works out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Abarth

Post by Abarth »

Hi all. I added one resistor in each cable from the adaptor and still the same problem. Any advice?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Not sure how you added the resistor. could you post a picture of what you did?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Abarth

Post by Abarth »

I done like sheme attached.

Regads
Attachments
esquema.JPG
esquema.JPG (7.84 KiB) Viewed 9494 times

cng1

Post by cng1 »

That isn't actually what the schematic that Brent shared showed. His schematic had the resistors bypassing the tacho board in effect. You may find that trying it that way may work better.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Abarth

Post by Abarth »

Hello

My english is horrible. Can you modify my drawing showing how must install the resistors?

Regards

cng1

Post by cng1 »

OK, here you go.
Attachments
TachoWiring.gif
TachoWiring.gif (6.19 KiB) Viewed 9486 times
www.trigger-wheels.com

Abarth

Post by Abarth »

It works¡¡¡ Thanks a lot Chris and Brent.

Regards from Spain. :D