USB to Serial adapter fix

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

speedmerchant

USB to Serial adapter fix

Post by speedmerchant »

Here is my recent experience on using a USB to Serial on a Windows 7 Gateway laptop.

The adapter in question I had in my "stuff" drawer with no identifiable markings. Up to this point I have been using an older XP Sony laptop with a built-in serial port for my link to the Megajolt.

I reckoned I would need the proper driver but didn't know what I needed. What I did was to plug it into the USB port and went to the computer's DEVICE manager. When I scrolled down the list I noticed the word "TEST" and a yellow warning triangle. Thinking this must be the device the computer didn't recognize I clicked on it and and the computer asked me if "I wanted to find the right on online". I clicked yes and the driver was loaded.

After the install the adapter became recognizable and was assigned (port 5). I inputed this into the Megajolt TOOLS-OPTIONS-COM PORT.

Once in, the system worked perfectly.

Best,

Jeff

speedmerchant

Post by speedmerchant »

....... just wanted to add this was done in the house BEFORE I connected it to the Megajolt..

Best,

Jeff

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great tip, thank you. It's pretty awesome when windows can find the correct drivers online!