tps again

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pocinagent

tps again

Post by pocinagent »

hi i have connected 5volts to my tps input but i am now reading 5volts at the other 2 pins now , is this right or do i have a faulty tps

thanks

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Forgive me, I don't mean to be insulting, but here goes: There are three pins on a TPS. A TPS is a potentiometer, or variable resistor. The two outside pins are usually(90% of TPS or more) a fixed resistance. One side goes to 5v, the other to ground. The third or middle pin is the varying resistance when the throttle is opened and closed. Basically it works as a voltage divider, so the varying resistance shows up as a varying voltage to the Megajolt(or your car's EFI computer). If the opposite pin isn't connected to ground, then you will probably get close to 5V if not 5V on the opposite pin, as well as the center pin.

Check your TPS with a digital VOM, it should act just like any other potentiometer. It could be defective, and another one should be cheap enough anyway. Good luck.

pocinagent

Post by pocinagent »

after all the messing around trying to get the tps working properly it turns out i have been sent a map version instead of the tps version that i ordered but the company i ordered it from were unwilling to change it so i have ordered a conversion kit wich has arrived today and hopefully i will be sorted by the weekend