It lives!!!

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

robocog

It lives!!!

Post by robocog »

Hi,
I'm running a 2L Pinto in my MK Indy (7 clone) and am completely happy with the way my mechancal dissy is set up - but have decided to go with bike carbs

Got my V2.xx Megajolt a week ago from a chap on Locostbuilders forum - so spent the week playing with a laptop - and getting it talking - Got the latest firmware and getting familiar with the tuning software

Thursday morning I managed to raid a Ford Sierra with a CVH engine - moments before it went into the crushing machine
Got the EDIS4, full engine loom,coil pack with brand new leads!,throttle pot.vr sensor and front pulley with timing ring.....for FREE!!
Thursday afternoon I went along to a local machine shop to get a center spigot for the trigger wheel turned up on their lathe - they did it within the hour and bolted it on to the crank pulley (they were curious and wanted to look at the car- so I thought I'd make sure it fitted there and then !! :-))
Got home and made a bracket for the VR sensor - and hooked everything up outside the car - to make sure everything was fine and no RPM shown on the software :-(
Came back on here - looked carefully at circuit and schematic - noticed the posts regarding the TO92 transistors being soldered in incorrectly being a possible cause - checked the spec of PN2222a - sure enough - re soldered the trannies the right way - time for bed...
Friday - after work I hooked everything back up outside the car - YIPEE!!! all working fine - I even took the distributer off and hooked up the HT leads - and had it do the loudest backfire I have ever heard - it got all the neighbours out to see who had been shot!! and my missus came running out expecting to collect my life insurance!!
I duly turned the missing tooth to the right position and re nipped the trigger wheel down and it started first time - ticking over with a steady purr!!
Saturday - seperated the loom into the wires I need - and chopped out the ones I didn't - bolted the coil pack down - bolted the EDIS4 in and got busy soldering the molex connectors on- ceremoniously I unclipped the distributer cap for the last time and fired it up and went round the block - all be it with it stumbling and coughing most of the way (need to get a more suitable map?)
I made a bracket and hooked up the throttle pot to the end of the accelerator rod on the DGAV carb using a piece of copper wire - and used the calculator on www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/ to get the TPS values - tried a different map (Brents basic map) and it runs better - but needs refining as we had a few coughs along the way - but I think I will leave that for tomorrow!!!
I'm seriously impressed with the unit so far - and the software and would like to thank all involved here and behind the scenes - as it has enabled me to get this thing up and running much sooner than I had expected
Looking forward to getting the bike carbs on there now and take it to a rolling road to get help refining the map

Is there any way of easily mapping my old mech/vac dissy to use as a base map till I can get the bike carb manifold sorted ? eg can I use the software to show me advance against RPM whilst actually running off the old mech/vac dissy - and putting them into a map? - or is there some other software I could easily use to do this?
Will the car need to be moving (EG UNDER LOAD) or will it work being just being in neutral?

Regards
Rob
________
Yasuhiro Wada (Honda) history

4600cc

You must have your

Post by 4600cc »

You must have your distributor setup and working, while Megajolt is not connected to coilpacks, but is otherwise running. That way you will be able to see RPM and map/throttle. You'd setup your laptop in the engine bay, and will be looking at timing wheel on your crank pulley. With your wify inside the car you'd tell her to raise or lower revs, then you'd record timing into the tuning software.

First thing to do will be to section your RPM bins, 1000, 2000, 3000, etc, etc. What ever you think is right. Forget about the MAP portion, assume you have flat curve, RPM vs timing. So, she'd raise RPM to 2000 and keep it there, while you record timing, then 3000 and keep it there, and you record timing. Car can be in neutral, but it's best while driving, so hang on there.

When that is done, you'd have a flat curve, which you can then fine tune. My guess is though, that map you get will be as crappy as what you have right now.

<hr>

There is actually a way for a software to get the map automatically, the entire 3D map. I had that as an idea inside my head for sometime now. Maybe one day I'll do it.

robocog

Ok - have had a long play

Post by robocog »

Ok - have had a long play with it today
I spent ages getting the timing wheel aligned as accurately as possible (it turns out I didn't have it set up 100% accurately)
Using the safe general map downloaded from this site (as the engine is pretty standard at this point)- it is almost flat - unlike the others I tried which when graph viewed look like a mountain range :-0

Took it out for a spin - and found an RPM range where it was hesitating a bit and advanced the timing 2 deg for the whole column for that RPM and 1 deg each side of the column (as not sure where it was along the TPS)
Just going out and doing this a few times seems to have made it work _almost_ as good as the mech dissy - theres just a small hesitation from tickover to 3000 if it gets floored where it doent "pick up" quite as fast as the old system (cannot spin the wheels like it used to- not that I do that kind of thing on a regular basis ;-)
It could of course be due to the extremely hot weather we have this weekend though causing tyres to stick better to the hot tarmac

I would of course try and get wifey to hold the rpm whilst I try and count the teeth - but I fear disturbing her from sunbathing time on a rare hot day in the UK would not be wise :-)

Not too worried about getting it 100% at this point because a carb swap and possibly a cam change is imminent - more keeping the engine safe and proving the reliability of my wiring till I get the carbs sorted out

A software solution to mapping the mech dissy would be top - I did run it up on the old system and watched the RPM and advance in software - and got excited thinking I could just note down the values - but then realised I was looking at the advance values from the cells..and not the actual crankshaft advance....DOH!

Regards
Rob

________
XC Falcon
Last edited by robocog on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.