External Telemetry Unit and RCP Mk2

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mrldcty

External Telemetry Unit and RCP Mk2

Post by mrldcty »

I have a Mk1 RCP, with the Bluetooth and Telemetry extension modules. If I upgrade to the Mk2, and use my existing Telemetry and Bluetooth modules, it will behave just like the Mk1, i.e., If I want to run both telemetry and Bluetooth, I will need a Y adapter. The other options for running both dash app and telemetry would be:

skip the external telemetry module, and just stream from my BT connected android device or

spring for the integrated telemetry unit supported by the Mk2.

Is this accurate? Are there any tradeoffs between using the (integrated or external) telemetry unit vs streaming to the cloud from my android, such as known bandwidth limitations or the processing power needed to host both the dash app and streaming from the android?

If anyone is interested in a deal on a Mk1 + telemetry extension module, please let me know :). I really want the CAN capability in the Mk2, so exploring my options. FYI: I am in touch with Brent re the CAN extension module for the Mk1 as well, which are currently a special order.

Best,
Wayne
Spec Racer Ford #40

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi mrldcty! For mk2, you can use your bluetooth adapter, but you can't use the telemetry module. Mk2 has a built-in (optional) telemetry module. This will allow you to use both real-time telemetry and bluetooth to a tablet/phone.

Streaming data live via a phone or tablet with cellular will work too. The built-in cellular module is designed for motorsports and dedicated use, so if this is for a dedicated track/race car we recommend that.

Let us know if you have more questions!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

mrldcty

Post by mrldcty »

Thanks Ryan. Let me make sure I understand, are you saying that the Mk1 telemetry unit will not work at all with the Mk2 RCP, or just that it can't work simultaneously with the Bluetooth module?

This is a dedicated spec racer, and I've designed my new dash around an android device that will be running the RCP dash app, along with some hard-wired lighting that is based on CAN input, LUA scripted to light up shift, temp, and oil pressure (so I can run the car even if the android device, or BT, or dash app, crap out). I also want telemetry. So based on your input, I think my options are:

1. You guys make me a CAN module and Y adapter for my Mk1 RCP + existing Telemetry module + existing BT module.
2. I upgrade to the Mk2 + integrated telemetry, then re-use my BT unit with that.

Sure seems like option 2 is really the most solid, so I'll advertise again... if anyone is interested in my Mk1 RCP + Telemetry unit to help offset the cost of an upgrade, please do reach out to me! :)

Best,
Wayne
Spec Racer Ford #40

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Yup, what I am saying is you *can't* use your old MK1 telemetry module with MK2. So option #2 is best.

Your setup sounds awesome, we'd love to see photos of it and your car!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

mrldcty

Post by mrldcty »

Here are a few shots of the car... one at the track last season, one of the current state of my frame-up rebuild, and one of the current wheel and dash setup. The big open space on the dash is for an unlocked Sony Experia phone on which to run the RCP dash app. The red shift light in the middle and two of the warning lights on the right will be operated from the RCP LUA scripts for revs, temp, and oil pressure.

http://1drv.ms/1d2BJnC
Spec Racer Ford #40