Brake pedal position - linear potentiometer

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

jonesy

Brake pedal position - linear potentiometer

Post by jonesy »

Since there is no sensor for brake pedal position or pressure on my BRZ, I am looking into rigging up my own position sensor. Would this sensor work?

http://ecatalog.beisensors.com/item/lin ... 0r3-4kl2-0?

If so, any suggestion on where to tap for wiring?

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

In my opinion a position sensor like that isn't terribly helpful with something like a brake pedal due to the nature of the brake system. For my car I just tapped into the brake light switch for an on/off value. Just knowing whether I am on the brakes or not was enough for me. If you're really interested I would get a pressure sensor instead.

jonesy

Post by jonesy »

I hear you, but I would rather have a little more info than just on/off if possible. I know pressure F/R is the best way to go but I think the pedal position will give me most of the info I am seeking for less $ and not have to worry about tapping into the brake lines.

If the position sensor turns out to be too much of a hassle I will probably go your route, just trying to see what my options are.

jottofar

Post by jottofar »

You want to get a fluid pressure sensor and tap into a brake line or the master cylinder.

Like this Also I think Autosport labs sells a unit just like this
http://www.race-technology.com/brake_pressure_2_68.html

MichaelDrost

Post by MichaelDrost »

That's still GBP 150,-

There's also this: 1600psi pressure sensor on e-bay

This should be the best option, since the pressure range is what you'd want for brake pressure and at $35,- inclu handling is hard to beat.

Oh, and as for installation: Google search for 1/8 NPT brake line adapter. This should allow you to add the sensor to the existing system, without too many issues. Just make sure you know what size the current system uses. There will probably be a suitable adapter out there.
Last edited by MichaelDrost on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jottofar

Post by jottofar »

MichaelDrost wrote:That's still GBP 150,-

This should be the best option, since the pressure range is what you'd want for brake pressure and at $35,- inclu handling is hard to beat.

Oh, and as for installation: Google search for 1/8 NPT brake line adapter. You should be able to add to the existing system, without too many issues. Just make sure what size the current system uses.
Thanks for posting another link. The one I found was the first one I saw :)

jonesy

Post by jonesy »

MichaelDrost wrote:That's still GBP 150,-

Oh, and as for installation: Google search for 1/8 NPT brake line adapter. This should allow you to add the sensor to the existing system, without too many issues. Just make sure you know what size the current system uses. There will probably be a suitable adapter out there.
I think I'm going to try this. The OEM hard line coming out of the master cylinder is only $10, so I'm gonna buy one and rig it up off the car, then just swap out the original one and bleed the brakes. I think I have a complete parts list but I'll confirm it all works before posting it up. If you have all the tools already and don't buy the spare line, it will only be $56 for the sensor, tee w/ 1/8 NPT gauge port, and flare nuts for the line.