New Install, RPM Challanges

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

rob_h

New Install, RPM Challanges

Post by rob_h »

I just received my hardware and got the Bluetooth display working, have the software loaded, and have been able to read/write to the Race Capture Pro. I have a G2X data logger with a full range of sensors in another race car, so I have some experience with these types of systems.

This car is a 2002 BMW 330Ci running a stock ECU and tune. This car is being built for the new Spec E46 series.
I'm having trouble getting an RPM signal. I've piggybacked an injector signal and confirmed that my timing light gets a good tach signal from that line. Suggestions on the proper settings for the pulse input? I am connected to terminal #1.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rob,

Can you describe the problems you're seeing? Are you not getting a signal at all, or is it jumping around?

If you've piggybacked on an injector signal the signal coming off of that might be too noisy for the RPM input to handle.

We've built the CoilX module, which is a small module that is designed to interface with the flyback RPM pulse from an ignition coil. We haven't tried it with the pulse from an injector coil ; injectors are much smaller and may not trigger this module. Here's the information on the module: http://www.autosportlabs.net/CoilX

What other RPM signals do you have access to? What kind of ignition coils does your engine use? If they're coil on plug modules triggered with 5v, that may work with the RPM input on RCP.

Keep us posted!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

Thank you for the reply.

I also tried the OBD2 port for the RPM signal which seems to work for other solutions and I'm not seeing any values displayed in the software or on the tablet with either the injector or the OBD2 signal. It's a factory BMW E46 ECU and wiring so I'm looking for a suggestion as to where to get the most reliable signal and the proper configuration settings. I don't have a scope and am not an engineer, but my other race car has an Electromotive ECU and a Racepak G2X and I installed and programmed both of those.

The value appears to jump for a second while updating, but other than that I get no value. I assume when I write the configuration changes that it's real time and does not require a reset of the data logger. Is that the case?

I see you are now sponsors of the BMW Endurance Racing series. We built this BMW specifically for endurance racing, and I need to get this running ASAP as we're at the track in 3 weeks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Interesting. How are you getting RPM from the OBD2 port? is this a BMW specific feature - like they dedicated a special pin for that function?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

So there may be an element of "internet lore" to this but I found a number of threads referencing it, as well as the following link:

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/ ... nout.shtml

What is your recommendation? I tried a number of settings (RPM and Frequency) as well as adjusting the Frequency range.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So you mean Pin 9 of the OBD2 connector? It would be interesting to see what kind of signal is output on that line. 5v square wave, 12v square wave, etc.

The other place to tap into is one of the trigger wires for your ignition coils. If it uses the coil-on-plug units that has a low level drive voltage, RCP could possibly interface with that.

Can you dig up some engine wiring diagrams for your car that identifies the ignition system?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

It does use a low voltage trigger for the coil on plug that these engines feature. I have a complete Bentley manual for the car with wiring diagrams. Given that the ECU is a Bosch, I can't believe it's that different from other cars running ECUs from the same vendor. If I switch to the ignition coil, can you give some recommended initial settings for the Pulse input: Sample Rate, Mode, Timer Options and Pulse Per Revolution? Any idea which settings may work with the injector driver? I tried to see if it would measure injector duration, but that didn't yield any results either.

Also, If i try to change the Logging Precision (click the up or down arrow), the Race Analyzer V1.1.15 crashes.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rob,

Do try tapping into that low voltage signal on the #1 ignition coil.

Try using a 10Hz sample rate and 3 pulses per revolution to start.

I will definitely look at the logging precision issue. I would just leave it as zero for now.

After you make the changes, write the configuration to the controller, and then use the sensor monitor tool to watch the RPM channel live while the engine is running.

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

I'll check it tonight. The procedure for making changes is what I have been doing, so it looks like I have that right.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rob,

Any progress?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

I got the RPM working off of pin #9 (black wire) on the OBD2 connector under the dash. I don't have the advanced configuration, but I can post that later. This is for a 2002 BMW (E46) 330Ci. I also have fuel level working, but only from the sender on the passenger side (main pump side).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rob, that's excellent. so you have a stable RPM reading?

What telemetry option do you have enabled, if any? telemetry module or bluetooth module->android app?

-Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

brentp wrote:Hi Rob, that's excellent. so you have a stable RPM reading?

What telemetry option do you have enabled, if any? telemetry module or bluetooth module->android app?

-Brent
Running BT but about to hook up the Real Time module. I've had some issues with the tablet connecting. Once it sees it, it seems to be fine but getting it to connect is intermittent.

What is the time frame on that Y cable? I need one this week.

Also, I've added Fuel Level and Temp sensors but they don't appear as dials on the default dash display (with the large RPM dial). How do I make that work?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rob,

We are working on fixes to the mobile app to have it more reliably reconnect when the link is lost. Right now if the connection is lost (e.g. if RCP is power cycled) the best way is to close the app completely (by making sure it's not running in the background as well) then restart it.

You can add gauges by long-pressing on the "+" symbols on the dashboard. There is a fixed list of sensor channels at this time; we're working on making this list fully customizable as well.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rob_h

Post by rob_h »

brentp wrote:Hi Rob,

You can add gauges by long-pressing on the "+" symbols on the dashboard. There is a fixed list of sensor channels at this time; we're working on making this list fully customizable as well.
I tired that but it didn't seem to work. I'll play some more. Thanks!