Expansion Port PinOuts

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

shmed

Expansion Port PinOuts

Post by shmed »

Hi, having decided to take the plunge, I have an RCP waiting at home for me.

I want to explore the CAN-bus connectivity from my ECU to the Expansion port, but am not sure which pins I need to connect on the RJ45 expansion port.

From my ECU manual, here is the CAN-bus page:

So, which pins do I connect to get physical CAN connectivity?

Cheers

Paul

shmed

Post by shmed »

Additionally,

Where in the software might I configure the data stream that will be coming in from the ECU?

shmed

Post by shmed »

So, with a bit more digging, I see that the expansion port is SPI, so I can't just plug the two devices together.

Are the SPI pinouts available anywhere?

shmed

Post by shmed »

MichaelDrost

Post by MichaelDrost »

I have an RCP, an SPI Bus Pirate and a UTP cable I am willing to cut up. A fun project in itself, but anything I can get in terms of a head start is more than welcome!

I am assuming I will have to do some LUA SPI stuff, to get some electrons to "exit through the gift shop .."

Do I?

M.

PS Hello, Shmed, I have been looking at that particular piece of kit too, but since I have an Arduino and a Bus Pirate, I figured I already had the tools.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, This is what we will be releasing to enable CAN bus connectivity. Firmware in development now to support OBD2 and some basic CAN connectivity.

https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx

The RCP port is basically an extension of the SPI bus. this small in-line adapter goes between the CAN device and RCP.

Cheers,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

So, with the module above, where would I connect my CAN twisted pair?

If I were to use the module I linked to above, would I need to change anything else (I guess like firmware)? Sorry, I'm not really an electronics person so don't understand it all.

I'm only interested in CAN data really (my old MR2 doesn't have an OBD port).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So there's nothing special about the CANx module that makes it OBD2 specific. for a generic CAN interface you would just connect GND and CAN+ and CAN-. We'll have documentation and pinouts when it's released.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

brentp wrote:So there's nothing special about the CANx module that makes it OBD2 specific. for a generic CAN interface you would just connect GND and CAN+ and CAN-. We'll have documentation and pinouts when it's released.

-Brent
Hi Brent,

Digging up an old thread, but how can I get my hands on a CanX module for my RCP1?

Cheers

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Here you go. We currently have 3 modules in stock, lovingly hand built and tested.

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/ca ... on-module/
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

brentp wrote:Here you go. We currently have 3 modules in stock, lovingly hand built and tested.

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/ca ... on-module/
Hi Brent,

I just went to order one, but the shipping costs to the UK are as much as the actual device. Is the shipping cost a flat fee or can it be reduced as I guess the item is only small?

Cheers

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We'll see what we can do with a flat rate envelope and adjust the cost.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

brentp wrote:We'll see what we can do with a flat rate envelope and adjust the cost.

Thanks!
Ok, cheers.

I have ordered it already :) (request 239)

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

Anyone with MK1 hardware and CANx - can you share what firmware you're running, to help me confirm I'm not insane? I just got my CANx in the mail, but can't get it working. The sample script shows a failure to init in the console/log window :
"Failed to reset CAN controller"
"CAN init failed"
This was with firmware 2.8.2 and Win8 app 1.3.6, then downgraded to firmware 2.7.7 and app 1.2.4, same error both times. I don't have anything connected to the CAN bus port, just jumpered to the RCP MK1 unit.

Script pasted from here- http://autosportlabs.net/CAN_Bus_logger I even tried just the initCAN(0,500000) line, and left ontick() alone from the default script (I issued 'resetConfig' at the console after downgrading)
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A memory jog told me that the CANx module initialization will fail if you are not connected to a CAN bus. Need to be on the bus at the correct baud rate before initialization succeeds.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter