not getting gps logs.

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jerjozwik

not getting gps logs.

Post by jerjozwik »

hello, im very new to this little box of tricks. im trying to capture ecu data logging runs, that parts not important. what is important is i am attempting to understand the racecapture box and figure out logging with it before i go to a track day.

so far i have the racecapture box zip-tied to my center console. it is powered by a usb coming off a laptop. i mounted the gps receiver on the passenger side window. when i start up the box i get a steady power led, but the bottom right led did not turn on. the led in the gps unit was flashing. when i read the logs the gps info is static and never moves.

ideas? im sure im missing something or skipping a step.

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

Give it a while to lock onto a GPS satellite. If the lower right LED isn't flashing quickly it has not locked onto a satellite. Are you inside a garage while doing this? Do you have the antenna plugged into the correct port?

jerjozwik

Post by jerjozwik »

outside, clear skies. gps receiver mounted to passenger window with a clear line of site. plugged into the right side telephone connector.

ok i just did it at my desk and i got a signal. maybe i miss understanding the gps view window...?

i set lat and lon to a line graph and the gps numbers are my physical location, that is correct. but the gps window just shows a red dot all the way to the top right of the window.

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

The GPS view window shows movement during a logging session. So, if you didn't move while logging it will just sit there.

The GPS values have quite a few decimals, so the gauge viewer may make it seem as though it isn't working. Try going for a short drive and then view the GPS log.

jerjozwik

Post by jerjozwik »

I still have the old logs that seem to have worked capturing gps. with line graph I can see the decimals move over a 5 mile drive. but the gps view dot stays in the top right.

the help file does not seem to have any info on the subject. how are people viewing their logs on a map?

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

jerjozwik wrote:I still have the old logs that seem to have worked capturing gps. with line graph I can see the decimals move over a 5 mile drive. but the gps view dot stays in the top right.
I'm new to this too, but I'm seeing the same thing. RaceAnalyzer 1.1.14 is happy with sample logfile 'aaron.log' where all variables are logged at the same 5Hz rate, but doesn't like sample logfile 'rc_3.log' where accel is logged at 30Hz but lat/long are logged at 5Hz... Doesn't like my logfile from driving today, with accel&yaw data at 30Hz, GPS at 10Hz, and others (battery, sats) at 1Hz.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There's a bug in the latest version of RaceAnalyzer where data logged at different rates causes a problem with the GPS view. Watch for a fix on this shortly. You can also use 1.1.13 for the time being. Apologies for the inconvenience!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jerjozwik

Post by jerjozwik »

older version works. thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We'll soon be releasing a fix for RaceAnalyzer that addresses this problem. Thanks for your patience!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Hutchie

Post by Hutchie »

brentp wrote:We'll soon be releasing a fix for RaceAnalyzer that addresses this problem. Thanks for your patience!
Hi Brent,
Any further news on this yet?
Regards,
Phil.
Knowledge is power:-)

jcordle

Post by jcordle »

Hutchie wrote:
brentp wrote:We'll soon be releasing a fix for RaceAnalyzer that addresses this problem. Thanks for your patience!
Hi Brent,
Any further news on this yet?
Regards,
Phil.
RaceAnalyzer 1.1.15 is available.
http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro_Downloads

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for sharing that. If you still see problems with 1.1.15 please let us know!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ehorner

Problems with 1.1.15

Post by ehorner »

Hi Brent,

I also seem to be having problems with this (having downloaded and installed the latest software and updated firmware). Additionally, when I go to export the data to Excel, MatLab, etc, I end up with blank cells and clock value repeats if I run any channel above 30Hz, and inconsistent clock intervals no matter what frequency I run at (see attached photos). Do you have any explanation or advice for this?

Thanks,
Evan
Attachments
Channels run at 30 Hz. Distance limited to 10 Hz by GPS. Look at time in rows 4 and 5, both are XX.906. Additionally, no interval is the same.
Channels run at 30 Hz. Distance limited to 10 Hz by GPS. Look at time in rows 4 and 5, both are XX.906. Additionally, no interval is the same.
30Hz Clock Problem.jpg (217.21 KiB) Viewed 10963 times
All channels run at 10 Hz. See time delta. For first 3 cells is 0.297s, then 0.93s.
All channels run at 10 Hz. See time delta. For first 3 cells is 0.297s, then 0.93s.
10Hz Clock Problem.jpg (234.66 KiB) Viewed 10963 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Evan,

can you post the actual log files as attachments here so we can take a look at them?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ehorner

Post by ehorner »

Sure thing Brent. Here are the .log files which I pulled off my SD card from 2 bench test files. When you import the data into Matlab or Excel, you'll see the empty cells issue I was talking about on the 30 Hz file.

What it appears to be is the RC is only writing a values per "X" given frequency. When you have data being logged at multiple frequencies (lets say 30 Hz and 10 Hz) and it goes to log both on the same time stamp, it creates 2 time stamps for each Hz of data being logged. But that's not quite right, because you would have every 3rd cell consistently getting a repeated time stamp, which it is not, and the time intervals occurring at every 0.033... seconds (for 30Hz) and every 0.1 seconds (for the 10Hz), which it is not. The combination of all of the above really gets me scratching my head in confusion.

Thanks for the quick response.
--
Evan
Attachments
Test 30Hz, Bench - 05132014.LOG
30 Hz, inconsistent clock intervals which don't increment at tested frequency, repeat clock values, empty cells
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Test 10Hz, Bench - 05132014.LOG
10 Hz, inconsistent clock intervals which don't increment at tested frequency
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 296 times