twin plug ,2 edis4 modules,2 coilpaks,& 1 Megajolt unit

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

WLD419

twin plug ,2 edis4 modules,2 coilpaks,& 1 Megajolt unit

Post by WLD419 »

Hello, I'm new to crankfire edis stuff, I have some questions I hope you can answer, I'm going twin plug on my
type4 vw engine ,& I'm want to know if 1 Megajolt unit can operate 2 edis4 module & 2 coilpaks , I want to fire 2 plugs per cylinder at the same time ,1 from each coil pak , if so which megajolt unit would best suit my needs ?
Thank you in advance Bill D. , this is a 2800cc type4 with a rpm range of 7000 maybe 7500 , if I'm going in the wrong direction please feel free to redirect me , thanks again
Bill DeWitt
1970 914-4 2800cc
WeekEnd Therapy

bmcdaniel

Post by bmcdaniel »

I would think you just need to wire a second coil pack in parallel with the first, if the EDIS module can sink the current of two coils.

WLD419

Post by WLD419 »

That's the reason I'm asking & thinking 2 edis4 modules is because of the possibility of it over heating (heatsink)
plus a post I seen about 2 edis4 module with 4 COP setup, I would tend t think that 2 coilpaks on 1 edis4 module
might takeaway from the Dwell time ? I'm probably over thinking this , also what would better suit my needs MAP or
TPS , my EFI system uses both (cb performance Quicktune/twin 48 throttlebodies) , I think that it might be easier to
tap into my EFI map lines , maybe I fiqure a way to add another TPS on the other throttle body, thanks Bill D. ,
here's a link to a post I read about ,a gentleman ran 2 edis modules with 4 COP , it looks like it was a few years ago
I wonder if it held up well ?

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1359
Bill DeWitt
1970 914-4 2800cc
WeekEnd Therapy

WLD419

Post by WLD419 »

bump- kinda hope to get some answers before I start purchase items needed for the conversion to edis4 x2 + Megajolt , thanks again in advance Bill D.
Bill DeWitt
1970 914-4 2800cc
WeekEnd Therapy

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

What about getting an EDIS 8 for your setup? Since EDIS is wasted spark system, you just have to plug spark plugs accordingly.
So I would get an EDIS 8 module, 2 coilpack as it is supposed to work with EDIS 8. You would have the peace of mind to know that your DIS sytem is up to the task.

A member on the board is selling one:
http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=3966
then you need to purchase coilpacks. I would get some new ones either on Autosportlabs shop or rockauto

Another alternative...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injection- ... 33828dd1b6
Mathieu

WLD419

Post by WLD419 »

It was suggested to me elsewhere ,so I did some reading and learned that the V8 engine fires every 90 degrees
for a total 8 times in 720 degrees where as a VW type4 fires every 180 degrees for a total 4 times in 720 degrees
& the 6 cylinder fires every 120 degrees for a total 6 times in 720 degrees , I like the idea of the edis & megajolt
it seems simpler & less expensive for what I want to do ( if it will work ) thanks for the suggestion : )
Please correct me if I'm wrong or misinformed, thank you Bill D.
Bill DeWitt
1970 914-4 2800cc
WeekEnd Therapy

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

I've thought again about your question and using an EDIS8 module instead of EDIS4 would not work.

Since EDIS is a wasted spark ignition I thought you could use the wasted spark to fire the 2nd spark plug for every cylinder, which is possible.
However, EDIS8 would trigger a spark every 90° as you've said so frequency won't be ok.
One way to go over this would have been to get a wheel that would multiply rpm frenquecy by 2. To divide by 2 a 36-1 wheel is not doable...

Thinking about how EDIS works, module creates a short on coilpack to trigger the spark. Coilpack power is not coming from the module so I would try EDIS4 & 2 coilpacks and see how it goes.
Best thing to do would be to try on a bench before trying it on your engine and see if that works. You need a drill to turn your wheel, a VR fixture & an battery. It is not easy but that would be the way to see if that works...
Mathieu