Installation on 2 Stroke 2 Cylinder outboard motor

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

tightwad

Installation on 2 Stroke 2 Cylinder outboard motor

Post by tightwad »

I have read all I could find regarding the installation of the MegaJolt on a 2 Stroke. From what I have found it appears to be possible as the system provides a wasted spark thus allowing firing on 180 degrees. There aren't many examples of the installation so I will be making it up as I go I guess!

So far I have the EDIS4 module, Ford coilpack and wires, 36-1 wheel and Crankshaft sensor. I mounted the wheel in my drill press and set everything up to be sure I could get spark and I do...so I am on the right path.

The next part for my installation will be mounting everything on the motor and trying again...running in Limp Home mode as that is fairly close to the desired advance at idle (8 degrees being factory). I do have a couple of questions I hope can be clarified before I invest in the MegaJolt module with Rev Limiter:

#1. How big is the MegaJolt?
#2. How can I make it waterproof...while it is mounted inside of a PWC hull there is a lot of water around still. Any suggestions are appeciated.
#3. Is there a limit to how long the Crank Sensor and Coil Input wires can be?
#4. I only need one of the two HT leads. Can I simply block the other off using a non-conductive substance or should that lead be grounded? The one example I saw was a COP that had the lead grounded so that must work...
#5. Does MAP work on a 2 stroke between the carbs and the reeds? This is a reed motor and there is vacuum present...I think this would be easier than trying to do a TPS, and probably more useful as well for driveability
#6. Does anyone have input on a timing curve? The current system has no mechanical or vacuum advance setup...it goes from 8 degrees to 24 degrees at a set RPM (tbd). I can't help but think there is a LOT of room for improvement with a 2D map, let alone one that works with the MAP sensor.
#7. I haven't seen a date on the MegaJolt C, which appears to offer a lot of options that may tailor better to 2 Stroke motors. Would I be better off to wait for that to be available? Is there a way to get in on Alpha or Beta testing?

Sorry to get so long winded...I hope no one minds so many questions!

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Surprised there have been no responses but then I assume the Race Capture is taking the bandwidth.

I assembled my EDIS4 setup and tested it. I can run the motor on the limp home 10 degree BTDC setting. Now I just need to get some details regarding the MegaJolt /E vs the new version....worth waiting for or get the /E?

For anyone else attempting this it was fairly easy. I used a 4 cylinder ford coil and grounded the two extra leads. The rest was simply adjusting the 36-1 wheel to fit my flywheel (had to widen the slots on the one I bought and cut the center out as I had a nut in the way). I need to fine-tune my Crank sensor bracket so I can adjust it...right now the base timing is a couple degrees off.

I am going to post pictures after I install the MegaJolt...need to clean up the wiring and paint the brackets etc.

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

You're not alone but if we do not answer, it is mostly because we do not have the answer for you unfortunately.
So I'm looking but I've got not much to share besides saying: "please share some data, It's already interresting!" :D
Mathieu

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

I am conflicted! I am ready to order the Megajolt...the only question is when will the /C be available? I am currently configured for the /E but it wouldn't be a bad switch...and it sounds like the /C is better suited to 2 Stroke environments. I really don't want to spend $200 on the /E only to have the /E come out right away!

Any hints on how far out the /E is?

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Too excited to wait any longer....I ordered the /E today. I opted for the MAP version and the Rev limiter...but I will install it. I was going to build one myself but shipping on the components was more than the components! I actually wanted to build one to use as a kill switch for this application...still have to determine how that will be done.