Problem installing the USB-to-serial driver

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mr. Wednesday

Problem installing the USB-to-serial driver

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

I'm running Windows 7 / 64.

I installed the bootloader driver with no issue and flashed to the current firmware.

Now I'm trying to install the USB-to-serial driver. If I right-click the inf file, I get an error message saying, "The inf file you selected does not support this method of installation." If I go into the device manager and identify "USB Composite Device" and choose to update driver, then "have disk" and navigate to the INF file, I get an error message saying, "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

Help?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Let's baseline the steps- sorry if this is repetitive. For RaceCapture/Pro make sure you've downloaded the driver here:

http://autosportlabs.net/asl_dist/rcp/d ... Vista7.zip

unzip this to a directory.

When you plug in RaceCapture/Pro, it should prompt you for a device driver - present it with the directory you unzipped the device drivers to. You don't want to install it using the right-click on the .inf file.

If you are not prompted for a device driver, can you tell me what device driver it shows up under? Plugging / unplugging while watching the Device Manager UI.

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mr. Wednesday

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

brentp wrote:Let's baseline the steps- sorry if this is repetitive. For RaceCapture/Pro make sure you've downloaded the driver here:

http://autosportlabs.net/asl_dist/rcp/d ... Vista7.zip

unzip this to a directory.

When you plug in RaceCapture/Pro, it should prompt you for a device driver - present it with the directory you unzipped the device drivers to. You don't want to install it using the right-click on the .inf file.
It does not do this. When I plug it in, Windows sounds a tone, but it does not prompt for a device driver.

Possibly because before installing the USB-serial driver, I installed the bootloader driver?
If you are not prompted for a device driver, can you tell me what device driver it shows up under? Plugging / unplugging while watching the Device Manager UI.
It shows as:
libusb-win32 devices\Autosport Labs Bootloader

Nothing else that I can find in the device manager.
The ChumpCar/LeMon: 1988 Ford Mustang, with '87-'88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe turbocharged engine. Covered in stickers, was #74, then #94, now #75.

We race in Texas and vicinity.

Mr. Wednesday

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

Device manager screenshot attached.
Attachments
Device manager
Device manager
asl_devmgr_01.png (71.65 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
The ChumpCar/LeMon: 1988 Ford Mustang, with '87-'88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe turbocharged engine. Covered in stickers, was #74, then #94, now #75.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thank you.

When RaceCapture/Pro is plugged in, try right clicking the "libusb-win32 devices\Autosport Labs Bootloader " and select, "Uninstall driver", and also select the option to delete the files.

Unplug and then re-plug RaceCapture/Pro. Does it prompt for drivers, or automatically re-install the bootloader drivers?

Thanks-
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mr. Wednesday

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

That worked. It didn't prompt me for drivers, it said it was searching Windows Update for them (I said stop), then there was a no-driver device under "Other Devices" that I was able to use update drivers to install it.

I presume I should be able to reinstall the bootloader driver the next time I want to update the firmware?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad that worked. Yes, you can reinstall the boot loader when you need to. With both drivers installed it *should* pick the right one.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

TrackRat

Post by TrackRat »

Running into a similar issue. Had the USB to Serial deriver working. Loaded the bootloader to re-flash the unit. Now it won't show up as a 'port'. Did the 'uninstall' and on the second try, it unloaded and found the correct driver again.

Everything is working fine after that.
Shawn Waggoner
Track Rat Motorsports
Lake Worth, FL
www.trackratmotorsports.com

andylaurence

Post by andylaurence »

Yep, I had the same problem on Win7 - I had to uninstall the bootloader driver then select the USB/serial driver when it was plugged back in. It always chooses the bootloader driver if that's installed.
Sprinting an ADR Sport 2
www.endurancelay.co.uk

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We will be changing the USB device ID of the firrmware or bootloader to avoid future driver conflicts like this. If the firmware, it will show up in the major Version 2.0, targeting predictive lap timing features and mobile app dashboard support.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter