Intro - Duncan and initial install

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

ddeltoro

Intro - Duncan and initial install

Post by ddeltoro »

Hello All,

My name is Duncan, I currently do mostly Auto-X with the SCCA and have been doing so for about the last 5 years. I stumbled upon the Racecapture project while looking into making something quite similar and I was amazed to see exactly what I wanted to develop in the final stages of development. I'm quite excited about the potential that this system is bringing and with the open source nature I hope to expand upon it and make it more friendly for me for AutoX.

I currently race in the Street Touring Ultra class for SCCA in a local Street Tires grouping (we don't have enough competitors so to bring some fun competition we condense it down to 3 group pax classes). I've been doing well but I know I'm losing precious seconds out on the course and I figure with some good data logging I should be able to figure out where they are and get them back!

Obligatory car action shots:

Update:

I got my Racecapture Pro in the other day and installed! I went with a discrete center console mount setup that would allow me quick and easy access to the unit at any time, while at the same time keeping it protected. It also puts the unit right in the middle of the car, fairly low which should give some of the best readings for yaw and acceleration.

All fit and mounted, simple installation just required drilling 2 holes to get it nice and snug. Right now it is just using regular coarse threaded screws, but I may change to a thumbscrew and nut style setup in the future if I find myself removing it often enough. For now this works great though.

Inside its cubby. I plan on modifying the cubby a bit further to permit me to put the GPS module inside of it when not in use.

I attempted to use the unit at my last autocross but I ran into "user error" heh, I did not pay attention to the COM port it revived when connected to my laptop so I could not program it to start recording at the right time. I have since figured that out and am in the process of mapping the sensors and getting signal wires connected so I can monitor RPM, Throttle Position, and boost to start. Part of my plan is to use the RPM along with GPS speed to tell the unit to turn on before I launch and off when the car comes to a complete stop which should indicate the start and end of any run.
Last edited by ddeltoro on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Damn, that's some awesome tri-podding :) I love Evos, incredibly capable cars. AWD rules :)

ddeltoro

Post by ddeltoro »

rdoherty wrote:Damn, that's some awesome tri-podding :) I love Evos, incredibly capable cars. AWD rules :)
Thanks! Yeah I love this car, its a blast to drive and because of its AWD system you can really throw it through corners quite well. Now to educate the monkey behind the wheel some more so I can improve my times even more =).

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Nice install pics! Let us know how it goes when you start reviewing data.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs