computor communication

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

texpis

computor communication

Post by texpis »

Hi All
I did a search but did not find anything on my problem. I installed the megajolt trigger wheel and mounted the coil packs checked it run and it was fine at 10 deg. I loosely installed the megajolt and it worked fine communicated with the computer all okay.
I then installed it neatly and now it seems to work because the timing changes when revved, there are no warning messages on the computer, it will write a map to the megajolt but it doesn't register revs or vacuum or the timing nothing changes on the display.
I have checked the install and all seems okay, I have a second megajolt and that is doing the same. What have I done wrong? The computer is a Panasonic tough-book with a serial port, the engine is a rover V8 in a landrover 90. I suspect the computer but I dont have another one with a serial port to compare.

Mick
Last edited by texpis on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texpis

Post by texpis »

Hmm anyone make a guess

Mick

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Are you 100% sure you're not seeing any error messages at the bottom of the software "Timeout reading cylinder count" or similar?

Another thing to confirm is that you are running resistor spark plugs.

All should be OK since you are running on a computer with a real serial port and things did work previously. However sometimes windows can lock up the serial port if things don't shut down properly so it is worth trying power-cycling the PC. One obscure thing I have seen in the past is a grounding issue with the serial line, I don't recall the details but I think it was something to do with the laptop and ECU having different ground planes.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

in addition to what cng1 suggested, verify you can communicate with the engine not running, then start the engine- can you still communicate?

A good sign that the megajolt is basically 'alive' is that it is controlling ignition advance. This is good.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

texpis

Post by texpis »

Hi thanks for the replies guys.

I have had another look today, the megajolt is working okay when revved the timing advances as shown by a timing light. I can load a map and the second map can be downloaded too.

It is definitely has no warning messages I have attached a pic of it when the engine is running if I turn the ignition off the warning message appears. I have notice for it to see the change over of the map I have to shut down the program and start it up again.

I have tried it on a 9v battery in the garage with a bit of suction and nothing reads again, its exactly the same engine running or not.

Is there anywhere I can send it to get it checked out?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Are you reading that ignition map from a file on your computer, or are you loading the ignition map from the megajolt while it's connected, by clicking the button in the tool bar?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

texpis

Post by texpis »

Its set up to read the program on the mega squirt on start up. If I start it with the ignition off there are zeros in the boxes.

Mick

PS anyone have a link for a USB converter that will work

texpis

Post by texpis »

Well tried it with a different computor and a usb serial converter from maplins, I had the megajolt on a battery and its exactly the same. So I am either doing somthing very wrong or the lead from the megajolt is o/o/o I have tsted and the connected pins test through with a multimeter okay, or I have goosed 2 megasquirt controlers :-(

Mick

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The screen shot above that shows "Ignition Configuration Loaded" is displayed when you load the ignition configuration *from a file*, not when it is read from the Megajolt Unit.

Are you certain you are able to read the ignition configuration from the Megajolt by clicking the 'read configuration' button in the toolbar (the button with the arrow pointing up)

Also, when you click Help / About when connected to the Megajolt (and the megajolt is powered up) do you see a version number displayed? What is that number?

Can you double - check the ignition advance with the megajolt disconnected (should be fixed at 10 degrees) and with the Megajolt connected (ignition varies by RPM)
[/img]
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also, what version Megajolt do you have?

texpis

Post by texpis »

Hi all still having problems the when I click on help and about it shows megajolt lite jr configuration 4.02 and MJLJ controller V4.02. I have tried the loop back test on the serial port and its fine.
With the megajolt switched off the car runs a 10 tdc. with the megajolt on the timing is variable with the revs. I can change the maps I know this because when you switch the configuration on it loads the map that on the MJ.
I have just notice it does go to cylinder count time out after about 10 secs. I am running resistive spark plugs.but the MJ does the same on the bench with a 9v battery.
I have bought a usb to serial lead from maplins and used a different computer with the same effect. Hope that answers all the questions.

Mick

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thank you for the update.

On the below, can you be more specific about when you see this happen? Does it happen only when the engine is running? Does it happen when the key is to "ON" but not running (and megajolt powered up?)
texpis wrote: I have just notice it does go to cylinder count time out after about 10 secs.
Mick

texpis

Post by texpis »

Hi Brent that is sat on the bench with a 9v battery. I have done a loop test as I was advised on another forum from the processor socket (with processor removed) and it comunicated with the computor fine.

Mick

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for all of the questions. We just really want to understand where the problem is!

Try these steps in this specific order (very important)

1. power up the Megajolt on the bench with a fresh 9V battery.
2. connect it to your computer.
3. start up the configuration software.
4. Does it read the ignition config and display it on the screen?
5. if you apply pressure or vacuum to the MAP sensor, does the load gauge move?
6. Do you get a response from the Help/About?
7. Let it sit for about a minute.
8. repeat step 5 and 6.

During this whole time, please note any messages at the bottom of the configuration screen.

if you can video it and post it to youtube, that would be even better so we can see exactly what happens.

Thanks- we just want to verify what happens before we go to the next step.

texpis

Post by texpis »

Hi Brent
I have done what you asked and the videos are here
http://youtu.be/UrAYpKKz0Fc

http://youtu.be/pPNcy7lB6OU

Yes it shows the configuration on.
No with pressure (Vac) It shows nothing on the screen.
Help and about responds fine with configuration and controller version.
Left for 5mins and did 5 & 6 with no change.

I mentioned in my last post that it stops after 10secs I believe that was a flat 9v battery it does not do it any more. I also have 2 megajolts(The spare only works on one map) and they both do the same.
I can load new maps with no problem.

Mick
PS excuse the rubbish video