VR Sensor voltage

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

eds911915

VR Sensor voltage

Post by eds911915 »

iv got an intermitant no spark condition the vehicle in question is a 76 2002 BMW anyhoo if the vehicle sits around for a few days it will start right up and run in limp mode for about as long as you request it to but after you turn the ignition off. shes a real bitch to get it to fire up. so i decided to measure the A/C voltage of the VR sensor while i have this no spark condition and readings on the Fluke meter are .95 or .88 A/C volts once in a while the readings will jump up to 1.5 volts A/C or higher and then the motor will run and measure a little higher then 2.00 volts A/C while running. im using a fully charged battery and purchased a new Motorcraft VR sensor before i started the project because iv seen crank sensors on other type of vehicle do funny things. Anyway is it safe to condem this sensor or is there a spec on sensor resistance i could also use?- :shock:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

So you're saying when the engine is cold, it will fire up with no problem?

But, if the engine is hot, it will be hard to start? How long do you have to wait until it will start easily again?

I'm suspecting this may not be related to the VR sensor- there may be other factors at play here - possibly not ignition related.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

eds911915

vr sensor

Post by eds911915 »

i went through the trouble of getting another sensor from the local pick a part installed it and gaped it and the motor started right up and also continued to start everytime hot or cold. i was so pleased then today it wouldnt sart at all. so its definitly not a bad sensor. im starting to think that the cranking speed or rpm is to low Megajolt never displayed it so that implies its below 450rpm. also mybe my battery voltage is to low i measured 9.6 while cranking. i just dont understand she is intermitant :cry:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

With regard to starting: the Megajolt won't affect the engine's ability to start or not. In fact, a common diagnostic test is to start the engine without the Megajolt plugged in; without the megajolt the EDIS module runs the engine at a default 10 degrees BTDC.

You need to find the pattern of what makes it start or not - heat or no heat; loose connections, battery voltage, etc. For example, did you just try to start it *cold* and it didn't start? I thought you mentioned earlier it wouldn't start while hot?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter