I need help, weird misfire problem.

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

FunWheelDrive

I need help, weird misfire problem.

Post by FunWheelDrive »

I have a built 351w Ford motor in my mustang, I am using EDIS 8 and I have been having a weird issue. The motor is brand new and never ran but I'm pretty sure this is a MegaJolt / EDIS 8 issue.

I have everything hooked up, power to everything and the motor will start up. It runs rough warm or cold. I took my timing light and it's in limp mode (haven't set up MegaJolt Yet) but it shows 10 degree's. Now here's the weird part, I've triple checked my spark plug wiring and it's right. I can pull ignition wire 2 or 7 off and rev the motor it sounds the excate same. I know that 2 and 8 fire together and 7 and 4 as well. I hooked up my timing light to all the plug wires and every wire except 7 and 8 flashes very quickly and smoothly, 7 and 8 flash but only half the speed. My timing light has a build in Tach and while idling all the other wires including 2 and 4 read 1600rpm but then I put that timing light to 7 and 8 and it only reads 800rpm... It seems weird to me that pulling off spark plug wire 7 makes the motor run the excate same? I bought all my components new, coils, EDIS 8 and megaJolt. Can't figure it out. When you try to rev the motor it stumbles but will rev and hold rpm okay and the misfire seems to be harder to hear when holding higher rpm. Only other thing I can think of is that I have pretty cold plugs in the motor with .020 gap for the supercharger but when I pulled the plugs out they had a black tint to them but where not carbon'd up and they all looked the same. MegaJolt isn't setup yet, but it should still run on EDIS 8 at 10 degree's without misfiring? Bad coil maybe?

What should I do?

spandit

Post by spandit »

Sounds like it's not firing on 7 - does sounds a bit like bad coil. They generally work on a wasted spark system which means there should be another cylinder firing at the same time as 7 - you should be able to swap this lead with 7.

However, have you checked your trigger wheel installation to see if it's properly centered (i.e. the teeth stay the same distance from the sensor all the way round)?