Moto Guzzi Motorcycle Application

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

geodoc

Moto Guzzi Motorcycle Application

Post by geodoc »

I have a 1970 Moto Guzzi air-cooled 90 deg. V-Twin motorcycle with a single-pint distributor ignition and push-rod operated valves using a hemispherical combusion chamber & ~ 9:1 C.R. I'm looking for alternatives to the mechanical spark advance with an electronic unit that will make it less prone to detonation. The original feul spec was for 98 octane.

There are a couple different electronic ignitions available as direct replacements for the points, but both retain the mechanical advance which has rather a steep curve. There is no vacuum advance / retard feature with the stock or aftermarket set-ups.

I wonder whether the MegaJolt /E will accept the magnetic pick-up signals that are common to both aftermarket electronic ignitions or whether I will have to find a way to adapt a Ford EDIS set-up to this?

Here's the distributor:

Engine configuration:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There have been a few installations where 1 and 2 cylinder engines have been driven with part of an EDIS-4 module. You should be able to find some examples in the forums.

You would still need to attach a 36-1 trigger wheel to the crankshaft (or a less optimal installation of a 72-2 wheel in the distributor, using a minature VR sensor like from a Mazda RX7)

Keep us posted on your project and what you end up doing!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter