Cranking (Starting) question

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jamesbekman

Cranking (Starting) question

Post by jamesbekman »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I have the EDIS and Megajolt setup for my MGB. I currently have the missing tooth at the hash mark on the crankshaft marking. In relation I have the VR sensor mounted 90degrees before top dead center which would be 9 teeth to the left of the hash mark when it is lined up with TDC.

I was able to start the car up last week. I had fitted new dual HS4 SU carbs to my late model MGB. I was having trouble getting a good baseline with my carb and distributor setting before hooking up the EDIS itself. Now with it fitted it seems when cranking that the timing is out or the carb mixture is off or the valve timing. The most obvious being the timing. This was prevalent before hand.

I hooked up a timing light to see if I could see the #1 plug firing in the EDIS limp home mode 10 BTDC. I wasnt able to get a reading. I am going to give it another try this weekend to see if I can rule out the timing or factor it into my settings on the megajolt when I hook it up. The MGB does like a lot of advance at idle. A lot more so than the factory set 10 BTDC which by luck goes along with the EDIS setting.

My question is should I even be able to see #1 firing while cranking from the starter?

Im thinking of going ahead and hooking up the megajolt unit as well and setting the advance with the assumption that my VR sensor is in the correct position. Then cranking again and seeing if I can fire her up with more advance.