Timing light issue

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

michaelb

Timing light issue

Post by michaelb »

I have recently fitted a Megajolt/Trigger wheel kit to my A series engine with an Eaton M45 supercharger and set up as per instructions.
I have aligned the trigger wheel so that at TDC the 9th tooth before the gap aligns with the middle of the VR sensor and have approx .8mm gap. Is this correct or should the VR sensor align with the start or the end of the tooth?
I have recently had the engine set up on an engine dyno and started with the supercharged map supplied with the kit. The engine starts and runs OK, BUT! we had issues with trying to establish the correct timing with our timing light. We spent some time moving the VR sensor to try and achieve some timing light readings which made sense and then worked out we were getting a double reading? After some further reading and researching I now know that the Megajolt/Edis system is a wasted spark type but I do not know how I should be interpreting the timing light readings in comparison to the Megajolt MAP indications on the laptop?
Is there a particular type of timing light I should be using which I should look to find?
I really want to confirm I have my system set up correctly and I believe a correct reading with a timing light should assist to achieve this.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Would I be right in thinking that you were using a fancy timing light with a dial you turn to read the advance? If so then they will read indeed double. You either just need to set them to zero and read off the timing marks on the engine or use a classic "dumb" timing light to get the correct reading. Otherwise just halve the numbers it tells you.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Thanks for your reply and you would be correct. It was a fancy timing light with a digital readout.
I will try one of the dumb neon type lights and see how this matches with the timing marks. If I use a neon timing light will this only show up as a single pulse against the flywheel markings?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Yes.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com