Proper rev limiting

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

cng1

Proper rev limiting

Post by cng1 »

I've been thinking about how difficult it would be to add proper rev limiter support to the megajolt. It strikes me that for a simplistic implementation the approach could be:

if (rpm > limit) advance = -10;

That on its own should give the effect of a soft cut by virtue of retarting it far enough that peak cylinder pressure is late enough in the cycle that it generates very little power. AIUI -10 is the maximum retardation that you can get the EDIS unit to supply but it's conceivable that this could be a configurable number or that you could have multiple limit points ie:

limit1 6000rpm advance = 10
limit2 6250rpm advance = 0
limit3 6500rpm advance = -10

Is something like this sensible to try implementing for the next iteration of the firmware?
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

cng1

Some code

Post by cng1 »

I've had a ponder and I <b>think</b> that something like the code below may do the job.

At the top of SET_ADVANCE_DEGREES add:
ldx REV_LIMITER
jsr COMPARE_RPM
bne SOFT_CUT
beq TEST_RPM_BIN

SOFT_CUT:
lda #0
sta AdvanceDegrees
rts

Brent, if the above or something similar works please feel free to incorporate it, if it's complete rubbish and won't work feel free to say, I won't take offence - I'm not a programmer and haven't done any assembly to speak of before.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

brentp
Site Admin

That would basically work. I'

Post by brentp »

That would basically work. I'll work on including this in the beta firmware before it gets released.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cng1

Progressive cut

Post by cng1 »

It occured to me overnight that we could do a progressive cut, ie once the soft cut limit is hit to retard a degree for every 8rpm above the soft limit. On most engines that's going to mean that once you've hit the soft limiter you would have 200-300rpm of progressive cut.

A progressive cut would be a lot nicer to the engine but I'm not convinced that the extra complexity and user confusion (that the "limit" isn't actually quite the limit) is worth it. Technically I don't think it's that costly to do as once you've done the rpm-rev_limit arithmetic comparison it's just a case of shifting the result right 3 places to get the amount of retard.

Anyone have any thoughts?
www.trigger-wheels.com