Spark Plug Failures?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MKnight702

Spark Plug Failures?

Post by MKnight702 »

Hi, I'm running Megajolt on a tuned 1275 A Series fairly succesfully, however, I keep developing a misfire on no 4 cylinder. Pop in new plugs and it's fine for a while but then starts to run rough. I will check what part number plugs but I believe they are the resistor ones. Anyone got any ideas or hints on what (and potentially how) to check?

Thanks.

FULMNTE

Post by FULMNTE »

When you get the misfire and disconnect the MJ, does it run ok on limp home mode?
1971 Monte Carlo, 454 HO, Tremec 5 Spd, Weiand 177 Supercharger

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

What do the spark plugs look like after it starts running rough?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

MKnight702

Post by MKnight702 »

FULMNTE wrote:When you get the misfire and disconnect the MJ, does it run ok on limp home mode?
Will try then report back.
brentp wrote:What do the spark plugs look like after it starts running rough?
A little sooty plus wet since there is no spark. I may be running rich but I have a session on a rolling road booked to have a look.

spandit

Post by spandit »

Try swapping plug/lead to a different cylinder (make sure you get the coil pack terminals right, though!) - if this cylinder then starts misfiring, you know the plug/lead is the problem.

Have you done a compression test on your engine?

MKnight702

Post by MKnight702 »

Yep, tried swapping leads, new leads, new plugs, new coil pack. The misfire always comes back.

Compression is fine, having rebuilt the engine (twice, don't ask) in the last 4,500 miles.