Yet another timeout post!

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

the modfather

Yet another timeout post!

Post by the modfather »

I have just fitted my MJL v4 after building the kit. Like so many others on here I too am suffering from the dreaded Timeout Cylinder Count problem.

I have tested the timing and it moves when under throttle.

I have a new Prolific USB-serial converter, 2 laptops both running vista, my COM port is correct, baud rate and the other bits all correct as per other posts, but still the same message.

I am powering the MJ unit and then connecting it to the laptop.

What else can I do before pulling out the MJ from the installed wiring loom?

When I built the kit I tested all along the way, and then connected it to the laptop, and it was all fine. Since then I have had to change hard drives, but have downloaded the new USB drivers correctly.

I am now stuck, what can I do guys?

Thanks

Daz

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

A few suggestions.

* Does it work on a PC with a built in serial port? This will make sure the Megajolt is still working (likely is, a sanity check)

* Can you find the original drivers you used before you had to change your hard drive? It could be the *new* drivers you're using are having a compatibility issue with the USB-Serial hardware. You're trying the same new drivers across the different computers, yes? It could be your problem is following you around to the different computers.

* As another sanity check, try a different brand USB-Serial adapter.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Hi Brent.

Serial port, do you mean a 9 pin port like the cable that was supplied with the kit? I have a 15 pin on mine and the wife's laptops, but not 9 pin. I thought that was the printer port???

The USB cable I used when I made the kit worked fine at the time of building. Between then and now I had to swap out the hard drive. When I tried to get the lot working in the car a couple of days ago, I ended up downloading drivers from Prolific and Huge Pine as I couldn't find the original drivers, but then my laptop stated that the device (USB cable) had malfunctioned, and was now (code 10) I guess that's computer code for F*****.

So I went and bought a new USB cable and driver, but this is a Prolific style. However, when I ring PC World and other computer retail outlets, they are all selling this type, so I'm stuck with that type. We have Maplins, which I guess is like your Radio Shack (if they still exist?) and although very good, the staff's knowledge isn't. When I say FTDI I get a blank expression. But this is where I got the new USB.

I have an old desk top PC in the loft, not sure if that has a 9 pin port, but what a hassle getting out into the garage, as my garage is 50 feet from the house!

Can I ask, as this has baffled me, but why does the MJ have this type of connecting cable, when it seems that they are so much trouble? Why couldn't it have been a USB?

Regards

Desperate Daz

spandit

Post by spandit »

Is it just not connecting when the engine is running? It seems like the MJLJ is quite sensitive to electrical interference (or it might be the laptop/USB cables etc.) but mine works fine until I start the engine. I've had problems where I have to change USB sockets on the laptop. I'm hoping when I fit resistive plugs, as recommended, these problems will lessen

Try one extra thing: wire up the switch that allows you to change ignition configurations (I call this "Box 2" - it's an aeronautical term). It's been noted by someone else and myself that this works even when "Box 1" doesn't

Regarding the desktop computer - do you not have power in your garage, then? 50ft isn't that long to run an extension cable but I agree it's a pain when a laptop won't work

The newer version of MegaJolt is due to have USB built in - I agree, using RS232 is annoying.

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Hi.

Unfortunately my garage isn't attached to or next to our house, and I'd have to run a cable across neighbours gardens. It can be done, but it is such a pain as the cable also has to cross a public path (just waiting for someone to trip, and then sue!)
I am powering the unit via the car battery as it is all wired in. As stated above it was checked when I made it, and that it connected to the laptop via RS232 and USB. I turn ignition on and then connect the USB to laptop. I then get the timeout. I have tried it with the engine running and then connecting the cable, but still the same. I also have the 2nd config switch fitted to the dash, and have tried this as well, but to no avail in all scenarios.

Daz

spandit

Post by spandit »

Have you tried different USB sockets on your laptop?

I generally leave mine plugged in and then turn the ignition on. I take it the light is coming onto the MJLJ OK? Can you double check that it actually has 12V (or thereabouts) across the power pins as I had huge problems with power supply before

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Yep, the light is on and burning bright. I can check the voltage tomorrow.

I have also tried all three USB sockets on my laptop, changing the COM on each occasion.

Seeing as I have advancement on the timing light when throttle is blipped, I guess that all the necessary connectors on the molex are correct.

Someone once stated about the earthing joints. I have the MJ earthed alone about 3 inches from the mount in order to keep the earth lead as short as possible, and the EDIS and coil pack earthed about 1 foot away on the engine side of the bulkhead, again keeping these short, but grouped together. (the MJ is behind the dash)

All three are fed on one 15 amp fuse that is IGN switched.

Many thanks

Daz

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Ok, I now have borrowed an old laptop with serial port. I will give that a try in a minute. Will update as soon as.

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Result!!!!!
Plugged MJ straight in to a laptop with a serial port and BINGO.

Unfortunately I have to give said laptop back to good friend, so need to find a suitable serial converter lead, as this new one obviously wont let the two talk to each other. Any suggestions where to get one in the UK?

Thanks to all that helped, it is appreciated.

Daz

spandit

Post by spandit »

I bought an FTDI one from Tronisoft.com - works well

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Is this the one you bought? http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=2455

If not, could you post the one you did buy please?

Regards

Daz

spandit

Post by spandit »

I bought the one with a longer cable but same chipset:

http://www.tronisoft.com/2327.php

the modfather

Post by the modfather »

Thanks fella, I will get one of these then.

Daz