writing ignition files when engine is running

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Spitfiredriver

writing ignition files when engine is running

Post by Spitfiredriver »

I am having problems writing to the ignition file while the engine is running.
The configurator reports that the ignition file wrote but within a second the timing returns to its previous setting.( I can even here the engine speed change momentarily)
If the engine is not running it writes fine. I do not know what to try next as it worked a few weeks ago.
I have even tried flashing the ecu, which loaded fine but did not fix the problem.

Update
I tried switching to the second configuration map by grounding the pin and everything works fine. Switching back to config 1 and it stops writing.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I have never tried writing to the Megajolt while the engine is running. I usually write then flash ignition on, engine not running. Others can chime in on this I hope, but I have never had a problem doing it this way. I can switch maps on the fly no problem.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

So to be clear, it does flash 'ok' while the engine is running, when the option switch is *grounded* (i.e. switch is 'closed')?

How long is the wire from the megajolt to the option switch?

Could you try re-writing / re-flashing using a very short wire to the switch, or disconnect the switch from the molex (leaving only a short wire from the molex). I'm suspecting some electrical noise near that wire might be causing some issues when the switch is in the "open" position.

Let us know what you find out. At this point it's doubtful there is a processor 'failure' issue at play.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Spitfiredriver

Post by Spitfiredriver »

I think your right about the electrical noise.
My multimeter flashes random numbers from the passanger seat, even when its not connected to anything.
I am using bosh leads that have between 5K and 9K resistance. (shortest to longest)
Any reason for the EDIS system to be producing so much interference. Neither of my meters work within a few feet of the car!

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Good possibilities of electrical noise are:-

Car/engine/EDIS earths. Double check connections and make sure all are in good condition.

Noisey alternator. If the rectification pack is on its way out. Also check power cable for alternator.

Non-resistive spark plugs. Resistive ones should be used with this type of ignition system, but not everyone has had a problem with this.

Also does your coil pack have a noise suppression capacitor, as that may help improvement the situation.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent list of things to check. Also check for old, cracked, loose or damaged spark plug leads
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Spitfiredriver

Post by Spitfiredriver »

I do not have resistive plugs. Hopefully this is the problem.

Spitfiredriver

Post by Spitfiredriver »

Changed the spark plugs from bp7es to bpr7es and everything works perfectly.
never thought a resistor could make so much diference.

Thanks for the help

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent- great information for the howto section. Thanks for the follow up!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Nice diagnosing NITROPIXIE ! :)

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Great news, glad it helped. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't make a difference.

Happy motoring ;)
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available